No clue how big my turkey is!!!

UGG, okay well my Godfather was nice enough to buy my family a turkey for thanksgiving! Its frozen as of now...but when looking over all of the packaging there is no weight! The net weight portion on the bottom looks like this "net weight __.__" lol like they never filled it in!? There are no other stickers or anything on it...sooo how the heck to I figure this out. My mom said she could bring her bathroom scale over, but will it weight more frozen because of the water? GRR any suggestions will be appreciated. this is only my Second time cooking thanksgiving dinner I DO NOT want to ruin it!

sweetstkissez22

Asked by sweetstkissez22 at 1:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Yes, use the bathroom scale as an estimate on the weight. this will give you an approximation on the cooking time. The extra water in there when it is frozen doesn't go away when it is thawed. It ends up as those juices in the bag that go everywhere when you try to rinse the bird (lol).

Even if you had the exact weight, the cooking time is an approximation - you need to check for doneness either with a meat thermometer or the pop-up thingy if your turkey has one.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 12:39 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Bathroom scale - if you're not sure it's measuring it accurately, use yourself - stand on it once holding the turkey and once without, then subtract the difference.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The weight will be close enough on the bathroom scale. I suggest using a cooking bag for the turkey to keep it moist. And a meat thermometer so you dont over cook it.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 1:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Bathroom scale should work fine!
    Fawn80

Answer by Fawn80 at 1:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would go by the bathroom scale. You know it's probably around 16-18 pounds. Just cook it for that weight and use a meat thermometer. Take it out when thermometer reached the right temp.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2010