Have you heard or lived through any natural childbirth "horror stories"?

A friend's wife wanted to have a natural child birth, and it was her first child. Everyone kept telling her she should reconsider but she was set on it! She ended up being in labor for hours and it got so bad she was screaming and begging for them to bring her to the hospital. She was bleeding everywhere, all over her living room. She was crying and rolling around on the floor, she was in so much pain and it was a horrible experience. This was told by her husband.

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 1:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I am a doula and natural birth is almost always the goal going into the labor room. I have seen it go really well, and I have seen it go not as planned. Either way, for the women who plan a natural childbirth and don't get it, they get to look back on the experience and truly say they did everything they could. There is less regret and depression over the birth experience when this is the case.

Natural childbirth should always be the goal - but we also must remember that labor is unpredictable and we have to remain open to that.
    gypsyjewels

Answer by gypsyjewels at 10:12 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• No horror stories. A friend's wife didn't make it to the hospital, and he ended up delivering their baby at home. Another friend's wife gave birth in their car. I was glad to be in a hospital because my oldest was premature and had complications, so it was good choice for me.

Answer by Bmat at 2:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well, I would say that husbands, and especially about to be first time dads don't like to see their significant other in such pain. Childbirth IS painful when you have it naturally, but it's nothing we weren't made to handle!
    Girlsabadfish

Answer by Girlsabadfish at 2:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Nothing like what you shared, but I did have back labor for 37 hours - that was terrible - and our last child.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've heard plenty of horror stories about birth that was induced or c-sections, but not about natural birth. Of course it must happen but I havent personally heard anything.
    MeAndLo

Answer by MeAndLo at 1:53 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• My aunt broke the vessels in her eyes and all over her face and neck while in labor because the doctor refused to do a C section because he said the baby was fine. Come to find out he was coming feet 1st and one leg was up in the air! She pushed and pushed and the doc was able to fold the one leg up and deliver him butt first. Her face looked like she got beaten with a bat!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Horror stories I hear about seem to come from those who were not as well prepared.
    When a mom understands how to prevent complications in pregnancy, understands the physiological process/knows what to expect, has excellent labor support & encouragement (preferably skilled & continuous), and is prepared & confident in her mind, spirit, and body then she can relax & surrender into it.
    If something comes it then she will be better prepared to tackle matters at hand.

doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• no horror stories, but i didn't know what to expect with my first child. i didn't have her completely naturally, i had some pain meds for the contractions, but all in all it was a fairly smooth labor and delivery..minus 4 days of active labor ;)

i do agree with doulala, that the horror stories seem to come from those who aren't very well prepared (i know, it sounds like i just contradicted myself! i knew it would hurt giving birth and wasn't as naive as some people can be), or who expect to breeze through it and not feel a thing.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No, I haven't ever heard any "horror stories" and I have known dozens and dozens of Moms in different states and in Europe while we were an Air Force family. SOme had c-sections, some had spinal anesthesia, some had natrural births. But I don't think we made such a big deal out of having babies back in the 1960's and 70's. We just had 'em. LOL.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've heard plenty. Mine wasn't bad, though, except that I was in a hospital. That was the horrible part for me. I was in labor for 3 days, no big deal, except that at the hospital (which my OB had sent me to, I didn't go on my own) they wouldn't feed me and hardly let me move. I should have just gone home instead of letting her convince me to go ahead and check in. I would have been better off just having my daughter at home and then saying, "Oops, we didn't make it in time, I guess!" since we had both wanted a home birth anyway. Stupid anti-home birth laws.... So that's my version of a birth horror story (a woman not being allowed to give birth in the way she wants to, when there is no medical reason against it).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010