Is it true that you can drink red wine while pregnant?

I took a nutrition and drugs class in college a couple of years ago and the teacher swore that it was perfectly safe to drink a glass of red wine, i believe she said once a day or once a week, while pregnant. However, I asked a DR who said absolutley not and I personally would not take the chance, but I would love to know if there has been actual research on the issue.

PURPULbutterfly

Asked by PURPULbutterfly at 1:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I have heard the once a week thing as well, I would not take the chance either, there is no definite answer on how much alcohol it takes to bring on fetal alcohol syndrome. I know there are many studies on drinking during pregnancy and they support each side.

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 2:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• According to my OB yes it is in moderation. Obviously don't get drunk on it. He says about once a week, but still prefers his patients to not drink it or only drink it if there's a special occasion.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've heard the same thing, but I think it is only in your third trimester.
    moviemom22

Answer by moviemom22 at 2:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 2:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Not in your first trimester, when the risk of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome can occur.

Some medical people are less puritanical about alcohol consumption than others: Drs trained in the states have a more strict view than European Drs. Mine told me that up to 5 alcoholic beverages (not just wine!) were fine beginning in the second trimester.

But I had a sip of my husband's wine a few weeks ago, and I still feel a bit guilty!
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You would have to drink more than one glass of wine or several beers every day.....to produce a baby with Fetal Alcohol syndrome.
    There is a whole lot of misinformation going around. See, you got different opinions from two professionals. It is hard to know what to do. if it worries you, don't drink anything.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• it was on the news recently that its perfactly fine to have a glass of wine a week while pregnant.
    in ireland, where i am from the drinking limits during pregnancy are way higher than they are here. might explain all the alcholics lol, but everyone is fine there
    otoole

Answer by otoole at 12:44 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I work in a doctors office and not only did they say it was ok, but our nurse practitioner had a small glass of wine with dinner every night when she was pregnant and she is fine
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:21 AM on Nov. 19, 2010