what would you do if you and your husband got layed off? And have no savings..

Both me and my husband recently got layed off, and have no savings.. and we have a 12 year pre-teen that needs constantly... Any ideas?

latinaeyes

Asked by latinaeyes at 6:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Money & Work

• Start applying for jobs?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Throw up and then apply for jobs
    Jerseymom1228

Answer by Jerseymom1228 at 6:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Apply for any job possible, anything you can get no time to be picky when you've got a family and bills.
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 6:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Get frugal!!
    There is a site called Hillbilly Houewife that is very helpful. It even gives you a $45 emergency menu, granted, it's nothing I would usually make, and it takes a lot of prep, but if you're tight, hey!!
    Don't eat meat as the "main" ingredients for your meals.
    Start clipping coupons. Once you have a stack, you can save a LOT of money.
    hotcouponworld.com can show you how to shop stores with your coupons and save lots. so does couponmom.com
    And yeah, I would definately start looking for a job. Even part time is going to help a little.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 6:46 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I was talking to a woman in the grocery, she said she recently got laid off and went to a day labor place, she waitresses and they were finding her steady work and she is making enough to keep her bills paid. There are always options, when my husband was seriously hurt, I couldn't work a normal job because I had to be there as his "nurse" at all hours, what I did since we live in a tourist town was I approached the local restaurants and offered to clean their restaurants after closing. It paid the bills.
    hibicent

Answer by hibicent at 6:56 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I'd like to add pray to Jerseymom1228 post. I think vomit, pray, sell my plasma then look for jobs.
    Works4Mom.com

Answer by Works4Mom.com at 7:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Try car sales,
    momagarry

Answer by momagarry at 8:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• this happened to us, except we had a toddler.
    I started to be a Nanny and it was cash every week and he went to a temp agency and worked at a liquor store. You can make it work, if you work. Many nights of grilled cheese's! best of luck to you, though Im not sure what you were looking for?
    Anonymous

• Try selling things around your home that you do not need and can do without to get quick cash...like a yardsale, you and hubby apply everywhere, and take the first job that hires you, continue to search for something better. In the meantime, sometimes these bad moments opens up opportunities you were not looking for. I want to share with you my opportunity that got us out of loosing it all. Feel free to contact me anytime.
    BusinessMom123

Answer by BusinessMom123 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Go tp unemployment...how long did you work prior to being laid off. Even if you got fired, bellieve it or not you are still eligible for UI. You are even eligible for some some grants. don't want to say here, but go to my page and I'll give you some info...ps I'm not selling ANYTHING not do I wnat you to sell anything...just real help.

Star419

Answer by Star419 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2008