How do you bring it up to your Provider??

This morning my 3 year old said to me "Monica told me that I am a brat" Monica is our daycare provider whom I LOVE and we have only been there 4 months but he's made so many positive changes since being there, we are in the beginning stages of Early Childhood Intervention testing and evaluations and she has been so wonderful and helpful but I do notice that when her 7 year old daughter will tell on other kids and say Oh Mom, so and so is being a brat... ( the 7 year old is a little mommy helper almost) and Monica will say "as if you guys are never brats" ..anyway, We don't use BRAT in our house and I think it just sounds wrong ... he could have heard it that way as I really can't see her calling him a brat, but how do you ask her about that without accusing and if I do, do you think most people/providers would hold grudges on kids for stuff like that?? Of course even if she did say it, she would say no.. do I even bring it up

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would bet a hundred bucks if your 3 year old said she said it She did . Personally I dont care how good somone is Name calling is wrong even if you are the big person .
    chica1965

Answer by chica1965 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. I think alot of people use brat jokingly.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• could she have said it as a joke...you know I say to my son once in a while in a cheerful voice, "You're being a brat, silly pants!"
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 2:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If it bothers you, bring it up. I tend to be straightforward and haven't ever noticed a negative outcome from it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I use the term brat in a loving way. I know that sounds oxymoronish, but it's true. When my son is trying to tickle me or something like that is when I use it. So it could have been used that way.

If you have a problem with that word, or if you want to know for sure, then talk to her. I used to be a nanny, and I would have NO problem with the parents talking to me about anything like that. If she has a problem with your asking her, then IMO you need to find a new babysitter.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If it's worrying you, then you need to bring it up. If it doesn't worry you, let it go. I've called my kid a brat before. In my book it's no different than spoiled or selfish. When my child needs to be brought back to earth a bit, I will let them know.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I guess I am such a passive person that i usually let things go and think "no big deal" but when it comes to my son, SO many things bother me that I know I have to draw a line in what I bring to her attention or not as an actual Issue.. Yes it bothers me but he loves going there and he hated the daycare Center he used to go to..I just never heard the term growing up so it seem so wrong when I hear it still.. He has told me "monica doesnt like these shoes or Monica took that toy away from me or Monica makes me sleep on the floor - all to which are not as bad as it sounds, she got new floor mats for all the kids so everyone would have a place to sleep, we bought a new pair of shoes for him that are a PAIN to get on and off, the toy which was taken was a toy of her sons which her son wasn't supposed to bring out of his room., stuff like that- so I never know what to take as "real"
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010