Scared of my bedroom

The past month my son who just turned 3 has been telling me "grandpa is in my closet" and has all of a sudden become afraid of going to bed, tells me people are in his bed or he gets very scared in his room -he barely watches tv at all and if he does, its sprout which is so far from scary.. He has a night light and comfort animals.. is this just a phase? it seems to be really bothering him. I bought him an LED flashlight today for him to sleep with but I wonder if this is just age/phase things and how long it usually lasts...?

maxsmom11807

Asked by maxsmom11807 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I would have your house looked at, he might not be seeing things, espcially if this is not something he would have seen on tv, where would he have learned it? Just to let you know, I grew up in one of the most haunted places in the country and if anyone told you a ghost can't hurt you, they have no idea what they are talking about.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It is a phase. One thing that I did was to take an old spray bottle and put just a little conditioner in it (for scent) and fill with water...it bacame monster spray and we would spritz the room just before bed. DD would direct me to where the monsters were.

I also got her and SS (11) dreamcatchers. I told them what they were for and what they do...so far, I haven't had any more problems.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I feared dolls, Seen things that keeped me from sleep. It was my mind playing tricks on me. Because i had an over worked imagination. Is he over tired before bed? But if he sees grampa, is grampa alive, if not did he pass away in your home? Maybe some one in the family around his age told him a scarry story about his room? When I was a kid i watched chucky. I only slept when I was with my mother is when I kinda stoped seing illusions. When I started watching Buffy, wich has mosters and such. But one episoied I watched she killed a demon that was like two inchs tall, so i pretended chucky was 2 inchs tall and i shoomshed em with my foot. Just as she did in the show, (but i knew it was all fake but my imagination made me think other wise.) Find him a hero, or some way to face his fears. Mosly likely its a faze. But if you belive in ghosts, then maybe it really is your father. Or somthin els.
    shesuss

Answer by shesuss at 4:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I like that idea of the spray bottle, right now we use our fingers as "monster spray" because he loves spray bottles and would get the whole house wet with one if we let him and we did get him a dream catcher about 6 months ago after his sleep issues 6 month earlier started.. thank you... I will try a small spray bottle maybe lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Comment by maxsmom11807 (original poster) at 2:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You could also get him some soldiers (or something) that he could put throughout the room to stand guard at night?

My DD has a crocodile (imaginary) that lives under her bed. At first, she was scare until I told her that he likes under her bed since she keeps him safe. Now 'Eddie' keeps all the monsters from getting under her bed.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Its prolly a phase my DD is about to tur 3 and she has problems falling asleep at nite and stayin in her room
    BabeeOnBoard

Answer by BabeeOnBoard at 2:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• What I do with my son is the big X. I tell him to point to where he sees 'sparkles' and put a big X over them in the air and tell them to go away please.
    rio_burb

Answer by rio_burb at 2:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well I believe that kids do see things (imo) my son would describe some man he saw to a T and he was 2 at the time. I would pray over his room and rebuke and negative things.
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 2:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010