Is it true that if you dont breastfeed, you increase your chances of getting breast cancer?

I read in an article on breast cancer and some risks that come with it and etc. It said that not having children coudl increase your risk and if you have children, not breast feeding can increase your risk of having it. Is this true??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Health

• No,its like breastfeeding decreases it,not NOT breastfeeding increases it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• IF that is true then I guess I have a higher risk getting breast cancer because I did not breastfeed both of my children. :)
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 2:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You will have the same risk from not breastfeeding as a woman who never got pregnant.

Breastfeeding simply reduces that risk.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Fact: Breast feeding reduces the risk of developing breast cancer. science journal: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1143616/

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm honestly not sure. I haven't heard that not breastfeeding increases your risk (although my Grandmother that had 7 children and did not breastfeed any of them just died of breast cancer), but I have heard that breastfeeding can possibly lower your risk of getting breast cancer.

I'm at high risk of getting breast cancer and I'll do anything not to get it. That it was of the many reasons I chose to breastfeed.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 2:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've heard the same thing from several sources.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• no, it decreases it
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 2:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Breast cancer will strike anyone at any time. it does not care how old you are, your race, male or female, ect. so I believe it is safe to say that it doesn't care if you breastfed or not. Doctors believe that if you breastfeed it "may" reduce your chances of breastcancer, it does not increase it.
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• so if u breast feed, you lower ur risk right? if so then im in trouble because i didnt breastfeed my boys..dang it...reason i asked cause my right breast is really sore and it kinda hurts.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• From what I've learned on the subject, Breastfeeding simply reduces that risk.
    BabeeOnBoard

Answer by BabeeOnBoard at 2:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010