Illegal Immigrants and In-State College Tuition?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-illegal-students-20101116,0,2917015.story

Do you think that they should recieve the cost break, even if they aren't even CITIZENS of this country??

IMO, No.

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 2:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it really depends. If they came over here illegally when they were a child then yes. A child doesn't have a say so in where they live or where there parents move them too. So, for this situation, I think that they should be able to go to college with instate tuition and work on getting legal paperwork.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No.. I recently heard on the radio~This also opens them up for state based tuition assistance/scholarships that COULD and SHOULD be going to LEGAL citizens. IMO(if this is true)~ ILLEGALS are taking opportunity away from in state LEGAL students.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree with you Jeremysmom, that the children dont have a say. But to give them the right we have as citizens is rediculous! We are the ONLY country that is so wussy when it comes to illegals. If you have a child in France, Russia, China, that child IS NOT a citizen of that country. It says on the birth certificate "born in ____, Citizen of ___.". Thats how it should be... Its sad to "punish" the children, but who then takes the blame? Illegal immigration is a FEDERAL OFFENSE. I wish I could break the law and say, "No I didnt, I have the RIGHT to do that."
    Call me what you may, but just know MY MOTHERS FAMILY came from MEXICO LEGALLY. Yes, it took time. yes it costed money. But MY family waited for their turn, and came when they were approved. So I have NO SYMPATHY for those that choose to do it illegally. WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND? If your kid doesnt go to college bc of that, ITS ON THEIR parents, not me.
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think help should be given to everyone who would like to become better educated and can not afford to on their own. period. There are too many stupid people out there and who cares where they come from if they are trying that hard to better themselves. People with an education often contribute more to society than people who are not.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 2:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No, there should be no benefit for being here illegally, no matter what age you were when you became illegal.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 2:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We care because WE are paying the taxes that fund that school ... Our children are suffereing from over-crowded classrooms, due to illegal immigrants. I live in LA county. The high schools around here have to have a period where kids just sit in the gym for no credit, because there are soooo many kids... Mostly from illegal backgrounds. The schools cannot get the funding they need because the families are UNDOCUMENTED, which means they are not taken into account when the budget for each school district is made. Yes, people should get educated, I believe that. But people need to stop breaking the law, demanding equality, and taking the places of LEGAL citizens. Like I said, I have no sympathy for them. Go through the process of becoming legal, or you shouldnt have the right to anything...
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 2:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If you want the benefits of citizenship, become a citizen. If you are here illegally, you do not qualify for in-state tuition, regardless of how long you've lived in the state and how old you were when you came here. You are here illegally. You have broken the law.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Call me what you may, but just know MY MOTHERS FAMILY came from MEXICO LEGALLY. Yes, it took time. yes it costed money. But MY family waited for their turn, and came when they were approved. So I have NO SYMPATHY for those that choose to do it illegally. WHAT PART OF ILLEGAL DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?

good

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Jeremy'smom... I understand what you're saying, and its not fair, you're right. But if we stopped giving so much to the kids "who didn't have a choice", then maybe illegal immigrant women would stop running over the border to give birth. I know it sounds harsh, but that's life sometimes. I mean, if me and my husband commit a federal crime and go to jail, our kids would go into the foster care system...is that fair to them? No... but that's the way it is, and if I were ever tempted to commit a crime, that fact would be a huge deterrent for us.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 2:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I know its harsh too, but I think to myself "Where and when will the line be drawn?" Whats the point of being a citizen of this country or not, if it doesnt REALLY matter at all? Wanna be a citizen? Stand in line like everyone else. Or maybe gave another option... If your family wants to be here legally, have one or your family members join the armed forces (one per immediate family household).. Show us that you are willing to give one of your very own for this country, and then maybe I will believe that you want to be here, and want to be AMERICAN.
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 3:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010