At what age can dementia start?

My mom is 66,and is becoming increasingly forgetful. She'll repeat herself over and over,lose things,and sometimes doesn't seem to know what day it is.
I don't know if its her meds,or something else making this happen. Isn't this a little early to start seeing these problems?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 2:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Health

• Yes and No. It depends on what kind of dementia she may or may not have. There are many kinds ranging from meds contraindications to organic brain disorders. 66 is not young, she may be showing signs of memory loss from any 1 factor or any combination of many factors. Such as dietary problems, mini strokes, alzheimers or senile dementia, even depression.
    Call her pharmacy where she gets her meds filled and simply ask for a review to make sure there are no potential problems. Make sure she is getting all of her meds filled at the same pharmacy. Make sure all Docs know all meds she is on. Make sure she is taking them correctly. Make an appt. with her PCP and go with her to discuss the problems. document ahead of time exactly what is happening, when, and what you think it may be. Ask her directly if she is aware of the problem. You may want to go over her bills and financial situations too. It's not too early.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My grandmother started at age 65. No it is not too early to see a problem beginning.

It is a horrible terrible disease...please enjoy her now...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No it isn't too early. Alzheimer's can start much earlier than that. I have a friend who lost her mom at 62 to it. I would get her evaluated.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No it's not too early. My dad's mother is 84 and has had alzheimers for a decade now. Her youngest brother is in his late 60s when he started. Most of her siblings have either dementia or alzheimers, their mother had it and lived to be in her mid90s. It's terrible, I can say that. I would love to be back in the early stages when she at least knew who people were. Now, on top of that, she can't even remember to shower or properly clean herself when using the bathroom. Good luck, get her to a doctor to see if there is anything underlying causing the problems.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• In rare cases as young as 40, it could be many things though so don't stress quiet yet. Have her evaluated and see what can be done. My DH grandmother is becoming very forgetful and cranky we are afraid she is on this path.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 2:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010