Howdo you make your turkey?

This year I will be making a "Sage Butter Turkey with Apple Cider Gravy". I wanted something different, since it seems like everyone just has the same plain turkey. Tell me your recipe!

Mme.Langley

Asked by Mme.Langley at 2:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I like to brine mine in a brown sugar apple cider brine with a bit of real maple syrup. Overnight or for about 12 hours. Then I flash roast on 400 for about 1 Hour then I cover it in a roasting pan for about 3 more hours on 300.
    Another way my BIL does, he loosens all the skin on the bird and lays thick cut bacon over the meat portions and bakes it as directed. The bird is wonderful but you better have some Pepcid before hand.
    My sister roasts hers plain as directed, then covers it in a chopped pecan,butter and brown sugar mixture, then flash roasts it on 450 for about 30 minutes, this creates a candylike coating on the skin.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Wow! That all sounds amazing!!!
    It sounds like you have some "good eatin" coming your way next week!
    Mme.Langley

Comment by Mme.Langley (original poster) at 2:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My brine is similar to what jjb makes. I use allspice and cinnamon sticks as well. I flash cook mine too. I stuff it with aromatics instead of bread stuffing. I use citrus, sage, garlic.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I season mine then put it in a turkey bag and follow the directions. Turns out moist and has lots of juices for gravy.
    foxyldy

Answer by foxyldy at 2:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My cousin always deep fries his with the cajun injector garlic butter marinade. Have you tried a deep fried one?
    Laying fresh herbs like sage, and thyme under the skin makes for a good herbed turkey. If you lay the sage leaves in a pretty pattern under the breast skin the bird will be real pretty to look at on the table.
    I have a friend that stuffs hers with apples and onions and it always comes out really good too, but we like bread stuffing. The onions and apples keep the meat super moist because of the water content, it raises the humidity in the oven while baking.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Last year I roasted it in a bag, it was pretty good not dry..this year I am making a Roasted Butter Herb turkey...a little spin on something I saw on Food network! It came out beautifully!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i have none i just make green bean casural.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010