Friend's daughter left home?

I have a friend on FB (well I know her in real life too but we rarely see each other anymore) & she posted today that her 14 yr old daughter "left home" to go live with some friends. Isn't that called running away? How do you just let your child of 14 leave & go live elsewhere? I have a 13 yr old & I could not imagine just sitting back & letting her go live with some friends! Do people just let their teenagers do whatever now? Did I miss the memo?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Sounds to me like it's a front to make people think she is upset about it when the real truth probably is she doesn't want to deal with her and is glad she is gone. She needs to step up as a mother and show some tough love to this kid if she does care about her well being. This kid has probably always been given free reign to do as she pleases and therefore she felt like this was appropriate behavior. There's not really much you can say to someone that won't step up and tend their responsibilities. Nothing you say would matter.
    lorig2010

Answer by lorig2010 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• That is running away and she needs to report her daughter as a runaway to the police. If her daughter does anything illegal or gets hurt, she will be responsible because the daughter is still a minor.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My daughter tried that once because she was grounded. Her friends brother came and picked her up. I went over there and picked her up. I told the friends family if that ever happened again I would report her kidnapped and press charges. That was the only time anything like that happened.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I wish I could say something that would comfort you. I'm sorry your going through this if it was me I personally would go get her.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• That's not normal. No loving, caring, responsible mother lets her 14 year old go live with friends.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 3:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My friend just keeps saying how sad she is that her daughter left! She doesn't seem to be making any effort to go get her at all. Keeps saying how "depressed" she is that her daughter "moved out". Moved out? I just still can't grasp this very well. I don't know what to say to her!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Thanks every one. Yeah I agree Lori, I am beginning to think she is happy she is gone. That is sad. I am not close to her kids at all..or her actually for years. We used to be room mates years ago..long ago..about 22 yrs ago now..and I remember she was not a nice person to live with so maybe it hasnt changed & the daughter feels the same way. It's sad though she doesnt want to do the right thing by the child.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:29 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• The mom was probably at her wits end with her! What kind of mom is she & what is her kid doing????
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:52 AM on Nov. 23, 2010

• Having lived with the woman before, I tend to wonder if the kid was actually trying to escape from her!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2010