How to get your child to do homework

I have a 10 year old that will not do her homework at all when she comes home from school.What can I do to get her to do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• ??? Tell her she can't do anything else until she gets it done.

Answer by missanc at 3:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have done that and does not work.My husband won't even help me out either.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Our children sit at the kitchen tabel and do there home work as soon as they walk in the door from school! They do not get to do anything else until it is done correctly! We have done this from day one in school.
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Your child is not the problem, the marriage is. When you and your husband come together as a united front, your daughter will begin to feel the force that two can bring. Work on your marriage in that area, then you will begin to see the difference with your daughter. Be blessed.
    Lordgivemewizdm

Answer by Lordgivemewizdm at 10:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Give her a little time to unwind, no more than a 1/2 hour, them have her do the homework in front of you.
    pbilotti

Answer by pbilotti at 7:20 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I have a ten year old daughter as well and had this same issue with her. Since she wasn't capable of getting it done without an argument, I made her sit at the table in the dining room and I sat there with her while she did it. No T.V., no outside, no nothing until it was finished. She also had a habit of waiting until bedtime to decide she had homework to do, so now I make all of my kids do their homework as soon as they get home. That way, what they need to do and how to do it is still fresh on their minds and they have the rest of the afternoon for play.
    lorig2010

Answer by lorig2010 at 11:43 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I am different than most moms. I allow my children to play after school and then we do homework after dinner. My children have already been sitting in a classroom all day and so I think they need a break before completing homework. My oldest son, who is 12, also goes to an after school program that deals with homework. Last year before we moved, the local community center offered after school hours right after school for free and they would complete homework first and then play.

I have also done the following:
    1. set up specific place to study
    2. provide all materials student may need
    3. incentive program... such as sticker chart .. establish a goal for a certain number of stickers earned to get ____________... this helps with students that have behavioral and learning disabilities ... older students earn certain amount of computer or game system time, etc
    holfee

Answer by holfee at 6:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I just did a talk for an elementary school on Homework Strategies. I'm a Behavioral Specialist and work with children. I wrote three different handouts for the parents that you may find helpful. Go onto my website: http://www.helpmealison.com and click on the parenting advice tab. The homework articles are there (it's all listed alphabetically). I hope this helps you!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 5:12 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• We have this same issue with our 9 year old. She has been fighting with us every day since she started 3rd grade. You'd think we were asking her to stick needles in her eyes. We have had tantrums, crying, nastiness, etc. We are really trying to be firm about doing homework right after school before tv or playing or anything else. She fought us in the very beginning, but I'm starting to see some changes. She still dawdles (it takes her at least 1 1/2 to do 20 mins of homework) but at least she's actually doing it now. The other issue we have with her is she will conveniently 'forget' to tell us about certain homework. Luckily they have agenda's where they list their homework assignments and I double check it myself before letting her off the hook.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 2:31 PM on Nov. 19, 2010

• Sit down and do it with her.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:49 AM on Nov. 24, 2010