For SAHM's... Did you go back to work when the kids went to school?

I have one daughter and she will start school next year. I don't know if I will go back to work or not. I like being able to pick her up from school and run her to other activities but then again I think I may like to work part-time. She will be going to school out of our school district and so someone will always have to take & pick her up. My hubby likes me being home & told me that I didn't have to go back to work. But last night he made the comment that "it was going to be my job" to take care of her and and run her to her activities just like I always have until she is able to drive and take her. He works hard and travels alot so I am the main care taker. But I didn't like that comment! What did you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• When I was married, I always stayed home or worked jobs where I was at work only during their school hours.

Answer by missanc at 3:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My kids arent there yet...but yes when they go to school, I will go back to work and school for sure! You could always do a part time job in the hours she is in school or something!
    JakesCupcake

Answer by JakesCupcake at 3:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• When my kids are in school I will be going to school full time and then working full time after I graduate.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I am a SAHM and mine aren't in school yet but when they are I am not going back to work. In my mind being a mom is a full time job all in itself. When my kids are in school the house will still need to be cleaned, laundry done, dinners made, plus there will be homework help, after school activities etc. I want to be able to pick my child up from school when they are sick and not have them sit in the nurses office all day or be able to attend every single ball game or school play. I am sure that I could still possibly make this happen if I went back to work but I also know that the stress would be higher for both myself and my husband and since we don't have to have 2 incomes then I don't see a reason for me to work. Besides since I started being a SAHM my husband is LOVING all of the home cooked meals and treats that he gets to take to work-he rarely got those treats when I was working!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Me. No.. I became a SAHM when my son was 10 and already in school.

My son is now 19, and has moved away from home for college. I still have no plans or intentions of going back to work.

My decision to stay at home had just as much to do with: myself, my husband, our relationship, as it did my son and his needs. I will continue to stay at home (unless some unforseen circumstances arise in which I have no choice but to go back to work) for myself, my husband and our relationship.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You have a problem with your husband saying you should stay home and take your child to activities? What a horrible man!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am a SAHM with kids in 1st, 3rd, and 8th grade. I wouldn't go back to work for a million dollars. I love being able to get them at the drop of a hat if they are ill. I can attend assemblies and field trips.
    You are lucky to have a hubby who allows you to have the wonderful "job" of being a full time mommy.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 3:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I suggest a work at home business. I do prepaid legal and I make a little cash I do work outside the home to but I'm trying to get serious about prepaid legal to. If you want you could go to bizwebinaronline.com and then go to mrmrssauvageau.greatcareerplan.com
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 3:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I was a SAHM from the time my oldest (now 24) was born until my last child left for college this past August & I am now a SAHW.. We don't need a 2nd income but we do need the time together as a couple. When our children were in school it was important for me to be here if they were home sick, if they had sports events immediately following school so that at least 1 parent was there, to chaperone field trips, to be here when they got home from school to help with homework and as they became teens to make sure they weren't out wandering around while they needed to be home. Now it is just as important to be here for my husband and to enjoy our time together. Our 1st son was born 10 mos. after we got married and by our 6th ann. we had 4 children. For the 1st 25 years of our marriage we were busy being parents and now it's time to focus on being a couple. I am here on his days off & we travel, hang out and just enjoy our time.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I still have 2 at home (3 in school full time) but I have no intentions of going back into the workforce when my youngest starts school (which will be in 5 years).  By then I will have not worked for over 15 years.  I'll be "retired" from the constant mom stuff then, lol.  I'll actually have 6 or so solid hours to myself to do the things I want and/or do things alone with my husband.  We're both looking forward to it.  It would have been next year but we ended up having another baby this summer.

And, yeah, I would have been ticked if my husband said tsomething like that.  Men don't get out of helping with the kids just because they work.  That's bull.  If he's home when there's an activity there's nothing wrong with him doing the running around for once.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I plan on getting my LPN and goign to work when my girls start school
    TiffanieAnn

Answer by TiffanieAnn at 4:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2010