my darling daughter is in trouble

My 13 yr old daughter broke into a building with a bunch of kids saturday,it was a couple of other girls idea but she is the ringleader for the rest that panned out my 2 youngest boys ages 9 and 11 were their too and I'm so upset about everything that happened they skated in the school punched and kicked lockers played on exercise equipment and got into a locker that was open but got into another locker that wasnt thiers and then threw stuff away. I sent my daughter to DT to teach her a lesson and it hurts so bad I wish I could stop crying. I don't know what to do my daughter is a straight a student and is in orchestra I don't know how to decide which friends she should hang out with it seems like she wants to be good and she finally was crying after she got handcuffed and said she was sorry,but I don't know what to do,she will have to go to court and probally pay fines she is only 13. She is grounded for a long time

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I've been here, and done that. Whatever you do, don't bail out your child. Allow them to always suffer the natural consequences brought on by their actions, otherwise, they will never learn. Don't enable them, feel sorry for them when they break the law and do something bad. Use tough love. Hopefully things will get better. Good luck.
    twinkletoes0408

Answer by twinkletoes0408 at 5:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Sounds like she is going to have to answer to a lot more then just you. The school, the school district, the school supertindent, the police, the judge...you might get stuck with fee's for the damage also. Your call mom, are these real friends at this point? She will probably get community service for this as well. I hope she is truly sorry and wasnt just freaked out by hand cuffs being slapped on her. I wouldnt let those kids out of my sight for a long, long time. 11 and 9, you should know where they are at 24/7. No more outings for anybody for a long time.
    Anonymous

• sorry, Im not saying your a bad mom,,,just saying that since they wondered off like that,,,you need to know where they are 24/7 from now on..:)
    Anonymous

• Why does the counselor seem to feel she could raise your daugher better than you? I would be offended if someone said that to me. Anyway, hang in there and you should be glad she's only 13 instead of 17 or 18 when the consequences would be MUCH higher for her. And if it was my kids, they'd be living in "lockdown" all 3 of them for a long time, no phones, no TV, no computer except for school work, no going out or having friends over, and lots and lots of work.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I just wish I could talk to moms who've been thier who have good sons and daughters but they made bad choices,i need someone that knows how to turn things around for their child so thiers peace. How do you know when you can trust your kids. Also what should I do about my 9 and 11 yr old son that broke into the building? I feel like knocking a hammer over their heads but I can't.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i think u did the right thing by having her pay for the consequences. i kno its very tough on u. and days ahead will no doubt be just as tough. make sure ur boys are punished as well, bc they are old enough to kno what they did was wrong. if you are a praying woman, pray for guidance. idk what else to say, so good luck.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Just hope she learned her lesson and thinks before she acts again! It has to be a learning lesson! A hard one for everyone involved! Best of Luck to you!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I knew my kids were at the skate park and I was running to go pick up my oldest son to get him a haircut.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think you need to let her pay for her crime just like everybody else does in this world. Maybe this will this will prevent her from doing wrong in the future.

Answer by louise2 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I sure hope so louise and I'm gonna do everything in my power to make sure this doesnt happen again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010