What is the CafeMom Encyclopedia?

Has anyone given birth and the after birth (placenta) did not want to come out naturaly? adult content

This happened to me with my now 2 yr old and just wondered how common this is? Or if anyone knows why it happenes? I forgot to ask my doctor I may have to just to find out why it happened!

jem102675

Asked by jem102675 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• This happened to me with my first but not with my other 2. I guess I never asked why this was either.
    tony1638

Answer by tony1638 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I KNEW SOMEONE THAT THAT HAPPENED TO AND SHE HAD A LOT OF BLEEDING AFTER THEY MADE IT COME OUT. NOT SURE WHY JUST SOMETIMES THAT HAPPENS.
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 3:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• ***graphic***

With my last labor, I delivered my son and my placenta. But after the epidural wore off, I was ready to use the restroom. When I stood up, I passed a big clot. aparently, my placenta ripped or something. They ended up massaging my stomache and pulling the clots out for over 2 hours. That was the most painful thing I have ever felt. it was worse than the delivery. I dont think it's too normal because one of my nurses had never seen it happen before and she brought in another nurse for advice.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 3:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• OMG NO THAT DON'T SOUND NORMAL!!! WHAT DID UR DOC SAY???
    britt_howard

Answer by britt_howard at 3:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i don't know what naturally means..i'm guessing with baby? I've only been through it once and it was the most painful thing. after my csection they massaged and pushed it out of me and it hurt so bad..it was very painful.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• this happened to me with both my kids. they had to give me lots of shots of pettossin and rub my stomach for a long long time to get it out. my body has an issue with continuing to contract after the babies head crowns, i just stop having contractions at that point.
    it actually happens more often then we are told, and really for no reason. i wouldnt worry about it.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes, this happened to me with my 2nd child. I am not sure why it happens but it was NOT fun. They kept pushing and pushing and pushing trying to get it to come out. They were going to try "one more time". I have no idea what that means because they didn't tell me what they were going to do next. Thankfully it finally came out. My stomach hurt for quite a while after that and I had a big dip there for the longest time. The doctor said it may have been from that or because I had my first child just 1 1/2 years before and maybe my body wasn't adjusted.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 6:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• So for those who had this happen how long did they wait for it to come out naturally? I am asking only because my first I was massaged and what not to get it out right after the birth, but with my second they let me alone and let LO nurse and about 30 minutes after the OB tugged on the cord and said "not ready yet" and came back 10 minutes later and tugged again and out it came no problem. The first time around I hemorrhaged and needed pit after giving birth although I had nothing during birth. I think if I had been left well enough alone the first time I would not have hemorrhaged and been just fine.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• When I had my Daughter she came out vaginally, I went to deliver the placenta and realized that it had actually broken up inside of me. It was worse than any pain I've ever had, they have to push on your belly while digging in with their hands to make sure it all came out. My doctor told me that if it didn't all deliver I could get an infection and could possibly have to have a DNC done. I don't know the cause of why it broke but I'm glad I'm done having kids because I wouldn't want to have to go through that again.
    twohearts0810

Answer by twohearts0810 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Sorry I had a c-section.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 17, 2010