How Can I Stop My Mother Inlaw from going through my things

I will be visiting my sister for Thanksgiving (2nd time in 18 years, dang and my husband will have his family over and he will take care of our 2 dogs while I am away) so how do I keep my horrible mother inlaw from going through my things when she visits her son (my husband who is a Mommy's boy!) at our home? And ...sadly our bedroom door does not have a lock

Shandala555

Asked by Shandala555 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• Wow.. I've never heard of anything like this. It's ur DH job to tell his mama to sit down somewhere!
    mommyg24

Answer by mommyg24 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have this same problem. I started discreetly hiding stuff, like our bills when she would come over. She would just blatantly pick up our mail and start thumbing through it. This weekend I had my kids report cards on the counter, in envelopes. She helped herself to reading them! Not a big deal, but being nosey kind of bothers me. I'm particularly private. So I hide the sensitive stuff, and then I try to let go and just not spend much time worrying about it.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Put a lock on the door. Honestly, if I didn't feel that I could trust her, I would find someone else to do it for me.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well you can buy an army type chest and lock everything up you don't want her to find or mess with. Or you can buy some really bad bad stuff for her to find LOL.. Shock her into doing the right thing and respect your privacy..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 3:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• yeah i would buy a new lock for your door & just be honest with her & tell her that is your stuff not hers to look at & tell her how you feel if she gets mad she will get over it
    Ricanmami1

Answer by Ricanmami1 at 4:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'd put important things in an unmarked box and in to a storage area or take to a friend's house. I used to put stuff in the trunk of my car until guests left.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• When you figure this out, do let me know. DH doesn't care, but last week while DH was working out of town, MIL was here to "sit" me since I'm so close to delivery and 35mi from the hospital. I woke up one morning to see all my laundry folded and separated on the couch, my underwear folded ever-so-neatly... i was just disgusted. She actually went through my dirty laundry hamper, sorted out my underwear... after I had gone to bed... just makes me uncomfortable.

As well, I have a particular place for the silverware in the drawer. I opened the drawer to find everything backward and sorted differently. I fixed it the way I prefer, only after my shower to find that she had put it BACK the way she had it.

Needless to say, when she left, I went stir-crazy putting things back in their rightful place!!!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 4:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have a mil that's sorta like that. I have spoken right up to leave my stuff alone, or I return the favor....seems she gets pissy when someone goes thru her things. I wonder why lol
    elyssek832

Answer by elyssek832 at 6:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• you can hide things you do not want looked at
    AND
    make a fake journal, write in it a few days..things like how much you love your husband blah blah, but also include crap like how much you love, respect and look up to your mother in law, make it real mushy and loving about her
    she WILL read it all, because you will place it in your top drawer of dresser with your undies, put a some sticker on it or something so you know she went into it
    when she reads how much you love and adore her etc etc, she will be happy and you can smile when you come back, watch how lovely she is to you

have fun
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• good question...hmmm well a firend told me his mom would go through their trash every day while he was at work. so one day a realtors postcard came in the mail saying i sold his house in your neighborhood, are you looking for a realtor? call me. he said he filled it out saying yes i need to get away from my nosey mother asap! lolhe left this ontop of the trashcan....sure enough all the trash was emptied so she saw it and didnt empty their trash again. maybe you can be clever like this,GL!
    stargazer74

Answer by stargazer74 at 6:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010