Adding to SSDI

A dear friend of mine recieves SSDI, and her son who is 6, was recently diagnosed with ADD, now she can put him on her SSDI, No? I hope im right because she could sure use the extra help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think so, I have a friend in the same boat and she can't do it.
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 3:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• He cannot get SSDI for ADHD, that stopped years ago. And if it was possible, he would have his own case not be put on hers.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My son used to receive SSI for autism until I married and am no over the limit for income/assets. I don't know about ADHD though, it's worth her applying but I know there were a lot of questions about my son's self help skills that a child with ADHD should be able to do for themselves.

Answer by missanc at 3:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Isn't SSDI for adults who can't work due to a physical disability? I would think a child with a problem, ahdd ,isn't going to qualify....it would really be stretching it. Wouldn't it be cheating the sysyem? I really don't understand theses things tho.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• SSDI is for individuals OVER the age of 18 who cannot work and support themselves financially, OR for children UNDER age 18 who's FAMILY INCOME qualifies.

If the latter circumstance is true in your friend's case, then starting in May 2013, you MIGHT qualify, as ADHD will officially be recognized as falling under the autism umbrella--when the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition---(DSM-V) comes out. But again it will be a case by case basis, and as I understand it (we don;t qualify even though both of our children have autism because of our income), you are often rejected multiple times before getting accepted.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• What is the difference between SSI and SSDI? My son has ADHD with Aspbergers. My neighbors have told me he'd qualify. They also said I'd qualify for things I have, but IDK about that. I never applied, I think I'd feel bad about it. I might when hubby retires though. But, my oldest is special needs. He used to get SSI. Last time he got it was in Texas. He would get it for 12 months, then we'd get a letter saying he never qualified, and he had to pay it all back. But if he couldn't afford it, then he didn't have to. He was like 5 years old. HUH? They did that twice. And they said that the TDY money hubby got was included in our income, which we never got, it was for when he went away for a school, we as a family never saw any of it. I just gave up.
    Hell, if ADHD is a qualifier, we have 2 kids with it, and a special needs kid. He was just diagnosed with Jacobsens Syndrome. So, ? does income matter with multiple qualifiers?
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If he is a minor she should already be getting a check for him.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• What is the difference between SSI and SSDI?

SSI is what people draw who have never paid into the system. It is often what parents with disabled children draw or the children when they grow up and are unable to work. The max is somewhere in the vicinity of 700 bucks

SSDI is social security disability income is based on what a person who has worked [aid into the system.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 5:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010