How to deal with teenagers attitude?

Hubbard1623

Asked by Hubbard1623 at 3:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Not all teens have attitude. While my children are not perfect, we haven't dealt with teen attitude and I have gotten 2 through their teen years and have 2 in their teen years.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• well i guess you would just let them know you are still in control. yesterday my almost 14yrs yelled an answer to me (i was scolding him) and i went right up to him and said did you just yell at me? he said no you walked away and i wanted you to hear me. ( not sure if i should believe that) but then i said dont you ever raise your voice to me. very stern and to his face. how long this will last i dont know. but this is working for now. i mean my kid knows that we just wont put up with it. he can be a teen and not disrespect us. and we talk about that. we are trying learn to communicate with each other. i wish you luck girl this has been one of the hardest experiences and he is just in 9th grade. let me say this i think what is hard is accepting he is not my little baby boy anymore. he is trying to grow into a man. and the power struggle of us letting him try to grow into a man. its hard.
    cuteness13983

Answer by cuteness13983 at 5:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Allow them to express their opinions (respectfully), state their 'case' (respectfully) and listen to what they need/want. TALK and LISTEN. But anything disrespectful (laced with attitude) is not acceptable. Offer consequences - now adays there should be more than enuf options. For instance: ALL electronics taken away for a week, no driving (?), make them do their own chores and some of yours (they're gonna have to learn how to do them eventually - unless you plan on moving out with them?)........lots of things to get their attention and adjust their attitude! IMHO
    GumboGirl

Answer by GumboGirl at 12:13 AM on Nov. 20, 2010

• Explain that they are NOT allowed to talk to you as they talk to their friends. Respect in any household is a MUST!!!
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2010