Why would you want a 'silent' birth and all that goes with Scientology? adult content

They don't allow anyone to talk to the baby or around it for 7 days after birth. WTF?
Why would you not want your baby to hear your voice? And if you are to remain silent during the birth, given the fact that baby can hear inside the womb, wouldn't that suggest that you shouldn't talk or be talked too once the fetus' ears have developed?
Someone explain this to me! (re: Kelly Travolta birth)

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I dunno. That stuff is all nuts!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• that's just silly in my opinion
    Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Totally weird. And she's like 47 or around there.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree just plane crazy! :) How could you not want to talk to your baby!
    jem102675

Answer by jem102675 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Tom Cruise and Katy Holmes did that too. Well, we are always saying we shoud not judge other peoples religions, parenting, and so on. Yes, it's a little strange to me, and slightly too disciplined for me, but they aren't hurting anyone. So to each his own.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have no idea .......
    Becnfamily

Answer by Becnfamily at 4:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well I am sure there are things we do that are considered odd in other cultures. Even going to a hospital to give birth is very odd and rather new in the evolutionary process of ideas on birth and labor. Yet we give it no thought and just do it. While it may not be for some people - I would never venture to call it crazy. Openness is a good thing.  You don't have to understand it.  But respecting others' religion and beliefs is important.  If someone made fun of you for choosing to do epidurals, bright lights, and scaring the shit out your new born in general - you would resent that.  Most likely a laundry list of the safety reasons why you choose a doctor, a sterile environment (not really all that sterile and how scary what you are really exposed to in a hospital), and the medical interventions you chose.  I can respect that.  But I equally respect the values and choices others make.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 4:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• This must be in regards to John Travolta and his wife.
    To answer this, you need to really look at Scientology.
    And, they can allow ppl to be around the baby but, no screaming, talking or medical poking around for 7 days. (No screaming during the birth). His wife, Kelly, did not make it last time with Ella Bleu so..we shall 'see.'
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 10:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think it comforts a baby to hear its mothers voice once born, as it doesn't see all that well for the first 4 months. SOunds and mommy smells are important. IMO
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:51 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Oh, I'm not trying to judge. Just trying to understand. Particularly the part about not talking to baby for 7 days when baby has heard you for 7-8 month already. How does that make a difference?
    Jademom07

Comment by Jademom07 (original poster) at 4:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010