Why Don't People Use An Unbiased Source?

Why don't fellow Cafemomer's use an unbiased source?

When discussing a certain topic, why do some cafemomers provide links to organizations which back up their view? Wouldn't the argument be more credible if a reference such as Wikipedia, a university publication or medical resource was used?

For example, I am pro-life and pro-traditional marriage but I do not use pro-life or pro-traditional marriage sites like secondlookproject.org, all.org, catholic.com or usccb.org to affirm my stance. Instead I use guttmacher.org, bpinstitute.org, acpeds.org, etc to affirm my stance.

Why do many (not all) Cafemomers who are pro-choice and pro-same-sex marriage, etc, use pro-choice and pro-same-sex marriage websites to affirm their stance?

If I use pro-life and pro-traditional marriage sites to affirm my stance, will I be credible?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 3:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• There are no completely unbiased sources. They are all colored by the writers/contributors own thoughts and opinions.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree,,but I bet it is tough to find an unbiased source!
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 3:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Because in general, people refuse to do any research beyond their comfort zone. Neutral sources do exist. .
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 3:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If I use pro-life and pro-traditional marriage sites to affirm my stance, will I be credible?

No, but I find it amusing that you are extrapolating one single discussion where the source of academic journals you didn't agree with equates to "biased" to paint the majority of CM'ers as using "biased sources". Pinocchio broke windows that way.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• There is no such thing as a truly unbiased source. And why wouldn't you want to use sites that back up your view with facts? If I asked a muslim mom a question about islam, I wouldn't expect her to back up her view with a jewish website.....
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 4:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes, op, there is no such thing as an unbiased source.

Answer by older at 4:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• As far as religion goes, it's pretty hard to find a completely unbiased source... it's hard to be completely unbiased as far as spirituality goes.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• There's probably no such thing as a truly unbiased source. How I answer a question or what links I choose to share often depend on the nature of the question. If someone is asking about a person's personal views on a topic or if they want to know more about beliefs, of course I will share my opinion and use references that pertain to that opinion. If they want to debate issues like legality, rights, laws etc. I might also share sites that pertain to that, such as the Declaration of Human Rights or maybe particular court cases or laws related to a subject. One site I really like reading is procon.org. It's helpful to gain perspective on the other side of views on which I'm sure of and it helps on issues that I'm on the fence about. The only problem with using a 'biased' site to back yourself up is if your trying to force your beliefs on everyone else. You have a right to your opinions for YOU though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The ProCon.org page on gay marriage lists some of the typical pros and cons of this issue, including links to sources of information.

PROCON.ORG Gay Marriage
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• because most people don't know what an academically credible source is.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010