Should the US change the way they do airport screening?

I ran across this and was wondering what everyone had to say about it.

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/744199---israelification-high-security-little-bother

The 'Israelification' of airports: High security, little bother

While North America's airports groan under the weight of another sea-change in security protocols, one word keeps popping out of the mouths of experts: Israelification.

That is, how can we make our airports more like Israel's, which deal with far greater terror threat with far less inconvenience.

"It is mindboggling for us Israelis to look at what happens in North America, because we went through this 50 years ago," said Rafi Sela, the president of AR Challenges, a global transportation security consultancy. He's worked with the RCMP, the U.S. Navy Seals and airports around the world.

isabellalecour

Asked by isabellalecour at 3:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Absolutely...absolutely!!!! bump, bump, bump, bump, bump!!!!!
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 4:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• They have what is essentially the perfect solution. Unfortunately, someone will get their panties in a twist because they're too stupid to know the difference between "observing behavior" and "observing skin color", so even if they try, it will get bogged down in court for decades while our entire system remains open to breach (which is exactly what is true of these new measures they've put in - they don't do a damn thing except look like they're doing something)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yeppers!! I suggested that in the other thread about the TSA making a kid cry!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• YES YES YES!!!

No scans..no groping...yes there is profiling but it ISN'T on skin color!

I do not see what the problem with this could be? Sounds great to me and works well for Israel
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have a question! What about women or teenage girls who are having their periods?! Will "alarms" sound if they discover a tampon string (could it be a bomb fuse?!) on the imagining screen, or what about feeling a sanitary napkin?! THEN WHAT?!?! I shudder to think what the next steps MIGHT entail!!!

Actually, that'll probably be the next suicide bomber technique, fully loaded tampax. Scanners won't pick them up, groin check won't pick them up. The explosive sniffing dogs might, or their behavior might flag the Israeli-style screening, but you know, we would rather feel people up than find the actual threats here.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

This^^^^^
    tabekat

Answer by tabekat at 4:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have been patted down before. I flew with a one way ticket out of south FL just 9 months after 9-11.

Then you haven't seen the joy of the "new" version of patting down yet? The one that includes the groin check? They check your crotch, your breasts and cleavage, and up your backside. That or you can go through the scanner that the pilots have been told NOT to go through due to the excessive radiation they'll be exposed to, and that courthouse employees in Florida were caught saving the images "for later".
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Then you haven't seen the joy of the "new" version of patting down yet? The one that includes the groin check? They check your crotch, your breasts and cleavage, and up your backside.

***

I have a question! What about women or teenage girls who are having their periods?! Will "alarms" sound if they discover a tampon string (could it be a bomb fuse?!) on the imagining screen, or what about feeling a sanitary napkin?! THEN WHAT?!?! I shudder to think what the next steps MIGHT entail!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Oh, forgot to add...what about travelers with incontinence problems...and wear adult diapers/pads--what about infants and toddlers still in diapers?! What about special needs travelers who will not comply with EITHER?!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It wasn't me jesse lol ..some folks won't be bothered by the scans and pat downs..but I think if we could find another way it would work out better for all of us..The rally cry is coming 'DON'T TOUCH MY JUNK BRO!' LOL

Don't down vote me sis! lol
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010