How do you control your own anger when your toddler hits you or talks back?

I'm having a hard time controlling myself when my son hits me or just otherwise misbehaves. I am normally a very patient person, but having to be patient everyday all day is getting to be very difficult. My son is 15 months and is extremely willful for his age. He hits and throws when he doesn't get his way, kicks when we change his diaper, and just recently started to "talk back" in his own baby-speak sort of way. I feel like popping his butt! What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• The best way to handle this is a) understand that he is testing your boundaries and b) set firm limits. Discipline is actually teaching. So if you respond with anger, it worsens the problem. I told someone else about my time out strategy...I'll repeat it if you like. But sometimes the best thing to do is to get down to his level and firmly say "that is not okay." For instance, I will not listen to you when you talk that way. Since that age doesn't do well with long sentences, you might come up with a "code" for each behavior that he'll learn what it means. Sorry, I could keep going but running out of space. Let me know if you want more.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 9:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• i would put him in his crib and tell him why you are doing it. Talk to him like he is a person, not a baby. When we constantly talk baby talk they think it is a joke. You need to teach him right now that what he is doing is not ok. My son has a genetic disorder that is close to autism and he is 5 and a half. im still changing his diapers and he is as strong as a kid twice his age. he kicks me and does the same things when i am changing him. Trust me if you dont stop his bad habits now, you will be in trouble later. i wish i would have done a better job with this myself.
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 7:38 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Put him in a safe place and walk away until you calm down.

Also, talk to his doc about it. He might not be feeling well. Or, he's just expressing his feelings the only way he knows how.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 7:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Definitely put him in a time out. This will not only help him understand that he is not suppose to hit but this also gives you the time to calm down. Make time outs a continuous routine everytime he misbehaves or until he gets the message & hopefully this will help you be able to stay in control. It only gets harder if you don't do something about it now because when they are 2 & 3 or even on up..You are going to have a tough time. Time outs are a great way to keep you from losing control & it helps you as much as it does for the child if not MORE!

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 8:32 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• pop his bottom then sit him in time out. Over time, you can drop the pop his bottom part and send him to time out.
    Anonymous

• My brother and I got spankings when we were little and it didn't hurt us any. Now my kids get spankings. I'm talking spanking NOT beating. Two or three licks is enough.
    Anonymous

• Don't get mad at least try. Time outs work. I would also act dramatically appauled that he would want to hurt his mama that loves himso much and then maybe even pretend to cry! Ha Ha ! No but really pop his fanny and put him in his crib.
    h2obare

Answer by h2obare at 6:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2008