For those of you who have lived in different areas of country, where have you encountered the nicest people?

I would have to say the upper midwest. When we were in south we experienced "we don't like yankee's" and when we were on east coast we experienced "we are better than you" and in the west it was "we don't really care about anyone but ourselves" and in the Midwest it was "wow, where are you from and what do you do". Granted it was probably the areas we were in but in general from my experience with people this is how it was.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I agree with upper-midwest!
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• In Tennessee
    bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 4:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I have met lots of friendly people everywhere, and a few not so friendly. I guess it just depends on the individuals that you come into contact with. It seems like you met some people that gave you a bad impression , and made you feel that everyone in that whole section of the country was unfriendly. It's funny how that happens, isn't it? It makes me wonder how I appear to people when I'm new to an area. I try not to say, "don't you have (insert bagels, sweet tea or whatever it is you miss from your home area) here? Or tell them how great things were where I came from. I try to roll with the differences, and find something to like about each area. People are usually welcome to talk to you when you are complimenting their town, or part of the country.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 4:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The South, of course!
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It hasn't been the area it has been the town. Most of the small towns I have gone to the people are really nice. Big, tourist towns the locals aren't as nice.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 4:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Good question! I've encountered the nicest people when I lived in both Indiana and Kentucky. Arizona was the state I lived in that had the least nice people. A lot of people there are really stuck-up!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 4:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I've met some very nice people from Milwaukee and Iowa, so I agree with you on the upper midwest.

Also Utah driving thru, but I've heard it can be quite a different story if you're not Mormon living there.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'm from Illinois and Wisconsin, and now I live in Southern Nevada. The people are similar, but I find it easier to strike up a conversation here because no one is from here. A simple "Where are you from?" can end up with a new friend here. In IL and WI, everyone had been there forever, and sometimes it seemed like if they didn't already know you, they didn't want to bother knowing you.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 4:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Still looking..I am from Indiana originally and there are nice people. I live in SE WI and people seem very guarded and in their own worlds. I lived in VA Beach a few times and a lot of people were snobs. I am moving to TX next year and I wonder how they will treat this "yankee".
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• have lived in Texas- Hawaii- Maine- Arizona - Illinois- Missouri &Tennessee - out of these states - Tennesse wins
    grandma1951

Answer by grandma1951 at 4:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2010