My now 5 year old has had a fear of going number two over the last year and a half. She has been on laxatives it seems like forever but still won't go regularly. She witholds until she can't anymore. I don't know what to do anymore and the doctor says just keep using Miralax. What can I do to help my child get regular?

LMat1581

Asked by LMat1581 at 4:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Health

• My brother was the same way! My mom would tell us stories about how he would hover over the toilet and as soon as one little nugget hit the water he would scream and bolt out of the bathroom. He would also hold it for days so she was forced to give him laxatives and he still had problems. One day my grandma gave him some and then for some reason let him run around naked in our back yard to get everything going I guess (he hadn't pooed in five days at this point) and he crapped all over my tricycle and I sat in it. ROFL my mom says I was sooooooooo angry at him that I wouldn't go near him for a few days. I later pooed in the tub and blamed it on him so he would get in trouble -shifty eyes- I've always been pretty vengeful. BUT to answer your question my mom just waited it out, it's a fear they have to over come. But, he was two. since you daughter is 5 maybe ask why she is scared?
    Cont..
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Stay in the bathroom with her and let her know nothing bad will happen while you are in there with her? I caused my brother to wet the bed and pee in the toybox in his sleep for a few years because I told him a story about a ghost coming up out of the toilet to drag him in to be with other ghost boys... (I wasn't a very good older sister......)
    Maybe she saw something or heard something that now has her afraid? I would do the sit in with her, and maybe look up some other ideas to help with her fear.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The laxatives are probably hurting her more than helping her. People get dependent on the laxatives to do all the work. Finding out the root of the cause and maybe making dietary adjustments might help. My daughter was almost 5 before she started pooping in the toilet regularly.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• a- I would take DD to a GI specialist
    b- I would stop the miralx and start the am with a fiber rich cereal or yougurt, add prunes to lunch or a snack everyday, cut back on high suger juices but still make sure she gets juice, fresh fruits and a colorful mix of veggies and make sure she has a lot of water so that she doesn't dehydrate her intestines.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Wouldn't it be better to have a natural food be the laxative? Like prunes in a frostee drink or fresh fruit, etc? Just an idea........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I know she is only 5 yrs old. but ask her doctor if she can eat Activa yogurt! If she likes yogurt that is. My Dr. recommended that for me cause i also have a slight problem going too. And it works! Good Luck to you both
    4theloveofTink

Answer by 4theloveofTink at 4:47 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I didn't do the doctor's suggestion for long. We switched to prune juice for that very reason and I try to push fluids and fruits and veggies too. She's not constipated at all. Its very soft and easy once she does go she just tries to hold it in as long as possible. Maybe we should try the GI specialist just to make sure there aren't any other problems inside her that we are unaware of. Thanks to everyone who responded.
    LMat1581

Comment by LMat1581 (original poster) at 4:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I was going to also suggest going to the GI specialist. Sometimes the anus gets stretched out making it really hard to go. It may not be a behavior at all, or she may be in pain when she goes, even if it is soft. My youngest has issues that they are trying to work out. I strongly disagree with just stopping the miralax and going to "natural" foods. Miralax isn't a laxative, but more of a stool softener. X-Lax is a laxative, and can be given to young children (talk to your dr for dosing). It will actually assist the muscles with pushing out the stool instead of just softening it up. If there is a muscle issue (which is my guess) then the natural foods won't help either.
    jwaren

Answer by jwaren at 6:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2010