Do you think you should have to pay to see a high school choir sing

my daughter is in high school choir and they are having a concert, it costs $5 per person to get in and watch the concert. We can't afford it. She says it doesn't matter if we are there or not but either way i feel bad about missing it.

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 4:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• I don't think you should have to pay to see your kid/kids sing. A free will donation would have been more appropriate.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 4:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'll be this is their fundraiser for the semester. The choral director has to pay for music, and other expenses and the money the school system gives her doesn't cover. Be glad she's not in the marching band......you are looking at FEES instead of a concert cost. $5 is NOTHING compared to $400.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes, as long as the money goes towards the choir program so that the school can continue to have it and not cut funds to it or cut the program completely. BUT, if it's just going into someone's pocket then no, you shouldn't have to pay to see you kid sing. Have you tried asking the school if maybe just you can go and see it for free if they happen to have an extra seat that night? Explain you don't have the money they might be willing to let you do it.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 4:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes, almost anything high school you have to pay for to get in. It's helps cover alot of cost for that specific sport or club and the up keep of where it is happening- on campus or off. Schools are getting less money from the states and feds these days and even when they got more it still cost alot to keep up maintance, pay teachers, buy uniforms, rent places for kids to have the prom at... the list goes on and on. I'm sure you can purchase a dvd of it or ask the choir director to borrow one to watch. Don't stress about missing it, it's a bummer put she will preform more and get the dates now so you can plan ahead.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 4:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If I were you I would talk to the choir director privately and ask if you can see the concert without paying. Or at least sit in on a rehearsal. Our high school choir used to perform for the studenst before the concert night. If they do that maybe you could go to that performance, at least. Don't consider your options dead yet. Look into it.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:34 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would pay even if I had to borrow or go wash someones car or scrub a bathroom for.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 4:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Heck no! And this is coming from someone who was in choir from junior high to high school. We never made anyone pay.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 4:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would contact the choir director and tell them you cant afford it but you would be willing to help out in exchange for free entrance. You could offer to go early and help set up chairs or pass out programs at the door. I wouldnt just skip it.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I was surprised the first time we went to watch our daughter's swim meet and we had to pay $3 per person to get in. But I guess they need to get the funds somewhere and if it isn't football, they aren't getting it from the school budget.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:10 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Yes, I do think they should charge since it s the only way that these programs are supported. No one thinks anything of paying to get into the football game.

Since you truly cannot afford it. I think you should contact the choir director and tell them your situation. Ask if there is something you can do to help instead of paying the $5. Perhaps if you are will to help set up chairs or organize the costumes, you can attend for free. People are very generous and they want parents there... just ask.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 5:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2010