Baby shower/gifts for a family from India?

I've been tasked with throwing a shower for a coworker in January. He and his wife are both originally from India and are Hindu.

Any suggestions on some of the traditions they may have around the birth of their first child? They won't tell anyone what they're having.

anng.atlanta

Asked by anng.atlanta at 4:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• We Hindus have many traditions revolving around the birth of a child. Most of them however, really would have very little bearing on a baby shower thrown by a co-worker. Most of the traditions involve special ceremonies throughout various stages of pregnancy, and then even more at birth..

"Traditional" Hindu gifts, fall along the lines of : new clothes (pretty much everyone does.. lol), a coconut painted with a red swastika, money, jewelry (gold baby bangles for girls are pretty standard.. but you don't know if it's girl or boy..) with symbols for prosperity/health..etc given to the mother to hold on to for the child,... Those are usually the top "Traditional" gifts. The traditional baby shower is called "godh bharai" and is usually held in the 7th month of pregnancy.

Honestly, I would stick with a basic baby shower since this is a shower for a co-worker, not family/close friend. It would tottaly suffice.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:17 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• http://www.babycenter.in/baby/traditions/godhbharai_babyshower/
    karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 3:27 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Thanks so much ladies! I think I'll have to pass on the coconut tho. <3
    anng.atlanta

Comment by anng.atlanta (original poster) at 9:31 AM on Nov. 18, 2010

• The Cocounut with the red swastika is a symbol of : good fortune, propsperity..

The Swastika for Hindus is a symbol of good fortune, it's also one of the symbols that is used in referance to the God Ganesha who is the remover of all obstacles and a bringer of good fortune.

Just thought I'd share the meaning. Many people do not know what the meaning of the swastika is for Hindus (and many others). But I totally understand passing due to what many would automatically think by seeing it. :-)
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:43 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Thanks Pixie. Yes, I've read that before and thanks for sharing!

I just don't think it would fly over too well at a work-sponsored party without having to do some explaining.
    anng.atlanta

Comment by anng.atlanta (original poster) at 3:46 PM on Nov. 18, 2010

• Oh I ***totally**** understand.. Especially for a workplace function..

Funny story.. I had a shawl on that I had wore to Temple. Not thinking about it. I stopped at the grocery store on my way home to pick up some things. This particular shawl has big red swastikas all over it.. I had been performing a Ganesha puja. I noticed people just staring at me, learing almost, and one woman grabbing her child and pulling her away from me. Then I realized. Here's this very obvious "Indian" looking woman with swastikas all over her.. LOL.. I giggled at myself for not thinking about it, and taking the shawl off before I entered the store.. I actually had one man in the line behind me say "I didn't think those people could be racist. Now that I see it, I don't want those people in my country".. I giggled even harder after hearing that.. LOL

I'm sure you will throw a **wonderful** baby shower that will be much appreciated!!!
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:01 PM on Nov. 18, 2010