How much is too much?

When the kids come home from school, they are always hungry so I allow them one snack to hold them over until dinner. Snack can consist of anything from about 5 crackers and cheese, a piece of fruit, a yogurt, or a bowl of soup. I think this should be enough to hold them over but my 9 year old complains that she is still hungry after eating what I think is a sizeable snack. I don't want her to ruin her appetite, but where do I draw the line?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 5:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• one of my kids does the same thing. i tell her a snack is not meant to make her full, it is just to tide her over, if she gets full from a snack she will not eat her meal that she needs to eat. we only have about 90 minutes between snack and meal time so i really limit them, or just do not give them a snack at all some days. i only let them have a peice of fruit too.
    annanonnymommy

Answer by annanonnymommy at 11:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I wouldn't deprive them of food if they're hungry,.... I think it's just wrong, I remember school lunches, they don't really fill you up, and if you don't have a really good breakfast every day before school, then your kid is practically starving all day. kids need to eat more any way since they're bodies are still growing. jmo.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 5:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My kids are the same way, they are like grazing cows if I am not paying attention. It really started to bother me this year, so I said one snack after school, that's it. I let them pick what they want, a yogurt, apple, granola bar, and then wait for dinner. This has worked out so far, and then I don't feel like there's constantly dishes being added to the sink or complaints when dinner is served.
    amybaby_19

Answer by amybaby_19 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• hi..i think you also have to limit thier snack for them to have thier dinner at the right time...you just have to portion the snacks that you have for them so that they will not eat everything in your kitchen....it is normal but we also have to dicipline them....
    neng999

Answer by neng999 at 5:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My dd is 8 and she is always STARVING after school. Glad to know I'm no the only one dealing with this. I feel like I'm always telling her she cant have anymore food but I really think she just likes to eat!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Did you ask her if she got to eat all of her lunch? I've read a lot of posts here on CM where mothers have said their children don't have enough time to eat.
    Anonymous

• personally if they are still hungry i would up the size by a little bit to see if that helps because if she is still hungry then she is...
    fallenangel7386

Answer by fallenangel7386 at 5:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• maybe a bit of a more hearty snack such as a sliced apple with peanut butter and adjust the amount served for dinner.I have 4 in age between 12 and 26-he is self supporting on his own -but some needed to eat smaller more frequently and others are the three main meals type.Different metabolisms.They all sit and eat as a family at dinner and breakfast.

drfink

Answer by drfink at 8:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I always had dinner ready by after school for such occasion and if they are hungry again by the time bed time comes around then it's the snack with a glass of milk.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010