How does a small local food bank work?

We recently donated a small crate of food to our local food bank. This is located in a room downstairs in a nearby church. When we were dropping the food off we saw people coming out with their one or two shopping bags and leaving, mostly elderly folks. So if you are in need, do you go "shopping" or does someone get the food they think you need? Is there a limit to how much food one person can take? Isn't this food covered by food stamps at your local grocery store anyway?

I'm just curious, as I'm trying to get my son involved in some charity work and he will be doing a small "food drive" on Thanksgiving with our family, and I want to make sure he can explain what happens to the food, et cetera, when he is collecting the items.

Thanks!! And I apologize - just don't know what topic to put this under!

amybaby_19

Asked by amybaby_19 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in About CafeMom

• not everyone qualifies for food stamps, not even the elderly. My ex was arrested and even though I had a job, the first couple of weeks where horrible. I went to our cities food bank to feed us. I was screened, my drivers license was put down in a book and I was only able to go on certain days, I think it was once every two weeks. There was no meat or dairy. It was canned goods and things like rice and beans. At our food bank a worker stayed with us for the entire time and showed us shelves of food and what we could pick out. It is not a pretty thing to go through, specially with children. Thank you for doing that, it will mean so much to a family or the elderly who are in hard times. I get involved in food drives in my area now, time to give back,,:)
    Anonymous

• You go in and fill out paper work, like how many in your family and names and ages sometimes you need to prove it and sometimes not, the ask if you get food stamps, and if this will be a long term thing like will you be coming often. sign a wavier incase some of the food makes you sick--you cannot sue. Someplaces have boxes made up, and they add to the box based on # in household. Or otherplaces you get to pick so many items, this shelf or that shelf. Or the one in my town you go in and they let you pick what you want and weight it out I have three in my family, and I can take between 50 and 60 pounds. And sometimes they have donated veggies or stale bread you can usually take as much as you can use(they do not weigh it)
    Anonymous

• Our church has a small food bank. We collect food mostly from church members and then when people call the pastor looking for assistance,they can get a bag or two of groceries each week.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010