If you knew that somebody is going to kill him/ herself (when and how) and you did nothing to keep them from doing it ...

.... does that mean you assisted murder?

In case you wonder why I'm asking; I just saw the end of "The life of David Gale".
I'm not sure in which category I should put this. Since it's about people, I choose "relationships".

BeachMom81

Asked by BeachMom81 at 5:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• Depends.. About 5 years ago my mom tried to kill herself and did not suceed and it changed my outlook completely. She was my best friend and we promised each other we would never do that to each other - we felt like sisters at the time and both battle mental illness but she gave up - I was devistated at the time, but I feel now if she were to do it again, I wouldn't stop her - mental illness is a horrible struggle and its hard one the medical system lets you down - and then you start falling fast and it can be almost impossible to get back on track when you are battling at your worst.. especially when you are talking chemical imbalance which you have no control over.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• no, I dont think that would be fair. Sad, but not assisted murder. Now, if you where sitting across from the person and watched them do bodily harm to themselves in the hope of ending their life and you didnt call 911, that might be questionable....
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well, suicide is not the same as murder, but I still wouldn't be able to live with myself if I didn't try to stop it... Unless we're talking somebody who's terminally ill, in constant pain, and wants to end the suffering, since I do believe in euthanasia.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I don't believe that would be assisted murder because even if you did stop them they would probably try again if they were that truely unhappy with their life
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• no not assisted murder

under that categaory , not good samartian law thig...someone help out me with the correct wordage
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• jesus how could ou just let that happen? my EX husband whom I LOTHED at the time, tried to kill himself and I still called the cops..he was commited for 3 days
    gypsymama532

Answer by gypsymama532 at 6:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• In some states they will file charges if it is found that you did not attempt to seek help for, or to stop the individual from committing suicide.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 6:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If you assisted you would hand them the gun. Doing nothing is nothing. I BTW had a sibling who committed suicide and no one could do anything to stop him.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My DH lost his oldest son about 7 weeks ago because he died by suicide. Needless to say, DH is questioning everything from 'why?" to "what did I miss, where did I go wrong?" He will be going to grief counseling next week, I hope it will be a start to him being able to heal. It hurts me to see him in so much pain!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 7:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• why would you not tell i would tell some one who could help this person
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 9:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2010