Do you believe your family doctor?

I was talking to my family doctor today about getting pregnant. He said that for the first two weeks you come off your birth control you can't get pregnant! WTF I don't believe him because if that was the case alot of women wouldn't get pregnant while still on the pill or by missing one day...go figure...Do you believe everything yor doctor tells you or do you mainly think he is full of crap?

TruckersWife84

Asked by TruckersWife84 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Health

• I don't have a family doctor because I don't trust them.
    Anonymous

• ehh... IDK, but what is 2 weeks really? lol :)
    I dont like dr. visits because 99% of the time we walk out with a prescription of some kind.... or a vaccine.. or shot of some kind.. They never give you advice on how to naturally do anything.. its all about drugs.. pharmaceutical..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I don't believe much of what my doctors say because they have been wrong too many times. Also, I prefer alternative approaches and they have always served me better than any traditional remedies my mainstream doctors have suggested ... everything from removing warts to losing weight to getting pregnant.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think he's being conservative. It takes between 2 & 4 weeks for your body to be "off BC" after you stop taking it. So you have a better chance of becoming pregnant after that...

But, no, to answer your question I rarely trust any "expert" without backing up what they tell me with research.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• @MommaTasha1003 we went in for a check up and came out more confused about getting pregnant and both my kids got the flu shot...
    TruckersWife84

Comment by TruckersWife84 (original poster) at 6:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• @SabrinaMBowen I read that you can get pregnant after missing three days of BC but it is in your system for a month.
    TruckersWife84

Comment by TruckersWife84 (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Okay well first he is right or almost. If you are on the pill and you ovulate the first month off your birth control and you quit at the end of a pack then it will be about 14 days until you ovulate and you HAVE to ovulate to get pregnant. Missing just one pill even by hours can open the window for ovulation to occur and then you can get pregnant while on the pill. There isn't much confusion about getting pregnant. Stop preventing and have sex when you ovulate.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well, I was on the pill for my last period. Took three pills the following week and then stopped. I bleed for a few more days after stopping my BC. How do I determine when I will ovulate because of bleeding two times? I had some white discharge this morning and I woke up at 5 am this morning with cramps in my upper stomach area and lower back...is that a sign I could be pregnant? I was always very easy to get pregnant. I have two kids and both times I stopped BC after my period and a month later I found out I was pregnant. Different father this time around so maybe his spermies will float faster...lol...idk...:)
    TruckersWife84

Comment by TruckersWife84 (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You can get pregnant right away. I stopped taking my bc and had a positive test 4 weeks later.
    To answer you main question I do trust my doctor (and my pediatrician) they wouldn't be taking care of me or my family if I did not. I do hoever, research things on my own and then discuss them with her. One of the reasons I trust her is because she lets me talk to her and does not force me to do anything I do not want to.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 7:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I trust my doctor. I would find another if I didn't trust him. Same goes for the pediatrician.

When you're talking about the pill, there are many different types, with all different strengths of hormones, and every woman reacts differently to them.
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 10:13 AM on Nov. 18, 2010