Do you give your kids an allowance?

And if you do... how much for what age? Is six too early to get an allowance?

young-not-dumb

Asked by young-not-dumb at 6:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i will when they get a little older. my oldest is four but six might be a good age to start.. maybe putting it in a piggy bank or something? then at the end of the month let her take it out and spend it on something she'd like.. like a new toy or happy meal or something? at six i'd probably give her like 2-5 bucks a week if that.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My kids are 3 & 4 and get an allowance. They have a chore chart that we fill out every day and their earnings are based on how much of their chores were done at the end of the week... IF they do all their chores they get something like $2 a week, and it goes down from there if they don't do what they are meant to...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My kids don't get an allowance.  They do their chores because they made the mess so they clean it up and they are part of the household.  I'm not their maid and I refuse to clean up after them.  I don't get paid to clean and neither do they.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• we haven't but have been talking about starting it
    girliemom0406

Answer by girliemom0406 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would like to give the kids chores and allowance, but their Dad doesn't want to. I've read a number of things about giving the kids chores to do and not attaching an allowance to it, but what would be wrong with that? I mean that's what happens when you're an adult, you work and you get paid. But some people say kids should do chores because they need to be done and not to expect anything for it. I don't know. It's still an open issue for us.
    not-the-momma

Answer by not-the-momma at 9:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Not yet but I've been thinking about starting with my 4 yr old...mainly to teach him about money.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 9:53 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Give children chores that must be completed without pay, so they can grow to understand that it takes effort to make a household run smoothly.

Give a child an allowance so they can grow to learn what it means to save for an upcoming treasure, future college expenses, or an experience (like a concert or ski day).

The two issues are not related.
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 9:56 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• my children have chores, but are not paid for them, it is a family responsibility! My son is 7, and gets 5 dollars a week, for all good remarks everyday in his folder from school! When my daughters evter kindergarten, they will get the same!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:02 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Yep I allow them to live under my roof, eat my food use my electricity and hot water.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• i think they should earn their allowance by doing chores, helping around the house, going to school, doing their homework, grades, eating taking a shower/bath and for being good...but i am still trying to teach my 6yr. old daughter the value of money.:-)
    nicoleNjeanna

Answer by nicoleNjeanna at 1:30 PM on Nov. 17, 2010