What to do about a disobedient 5 year old?

She is chosing to do things she knows she is not allowed to do, or was told not to do. Today at rest time, she was told she could read, she asked if she could play and was told no, she could read. She went to her room and told her sister(7) promise you wont tell mom I am playing with my dolls. She is disregarding our authority and doing whatever she wants to do. She is making these choices and cares not about the outcome. She has been spanked. We have taken things away. She has had time outs. Looking for something that will get her attention.

HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Well if you are really being consistant, and checking her each time, you are doing the right thing. It is her job to push the envelope and your job to check her.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:36 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• make sure she is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. Sometimes they go for the negative attention when they do not get enough positive attention. Praise her when she does things right and make sure she knows she is special and loved.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• sounds like u are doing the right things. have you told her why u want her to do these things or why not? just stay strong on ur punishments.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 6:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I had the same problems with my 4yr old. Try to scoop to her level and realize that after all she's just 5yrs into learning about life so its not easy for her either. Kids at that age think everything is a game and take things ("especially parents and rules") as a joke. But instead of getting upset, try playing her way until she is really capable of understanding actions and consequence. If you cant beat them join them. Instead of just telling her to do this and do that, try asking her to read you a story make her feel that you need her and her help. Get her involved. Keep in mind that you are the one that can either make a little book sound like a punishment or reward. From personal experience I found a little boy anxious to be my #1 little helper and tell me stories. Good luck. ; )
    mary_jane_213

Answer by mary_jane_213 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 17, 2010