Gestational diabetes & worried about baby ..

Do they ALWAYS take the baby away to the NICU to monitor blood sugars immediately after birth if you have Gestational Diabetes? Do they always need sugar water or an IV? Will he end up staying in the hospital longer than me?

I have it, not severe - I control mine with diet (although my numbers have been getting higher lately, between 140mg/dl - 165mg/dl) my doctor said not to worry, that we'd be just fine. Just to keep watching them. I am being induced next week/weekend, not sure exactly when, I find out the exact date on Monday.

NMRx

Asked by NMRx at 7:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• No, they do not always take the baby to the NICU. They will however, keep a close watch on the baby's blood sugar level, and often times the glucometer reads high for an infant and they have to call the lab to confirm the level, so be prepared for your baby to be getting a lot of pokes on his feet.

The only reason for the baby to stay in the hospital longer than you is if they can not get the babies blood sugar to even out, but that is generally in severe cases.

If the doc says that you will be Ok, and not to worry about the baby, coupled with the fact that you say your diabetes is not severe, then I would say that your baby will be fine :)
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008