Am I the only one that thinks this?

I think that once you become a parent, all experimentation with illegal drugs should be off the table. I never have done it in the first place, so I don't get the appeal, but people that are stoned out of their minds while caring for thier kiddos just really make me angry!

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think you are right on this one. They are setting a good example for their kids by not doing so once their children are in the picture.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• No, I agree with you.... Drugs (AND alcohol, I should add) impair your judgement. Therefore, using them while caring for kids is just plain irresponsible.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:38 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Completely agree! I've never tried drugs and never will - ESPECIALLY as a parent! I want to set a good example for my children.
    Petite.Amante

Answer by Petite.Amante at 6:40 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You are correct and there is no good excuse to use illegal drugs once you become pregnant and begin to care for your child. If you think that they are not watching you, you are mistaken. Advertisers know how seductive certain ads can be so do you suppose the two living advertisements that care for impressionable children are exempt from their close scrutiny?
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 6:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If your children are being cared for by someone else for the night and it is something that you did before and have no issue with your children doing then go ahead. I personally never saw the appeal before kids and don't do it now either, but as long as the kids are not in the parents care while they do it then to each their own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I agree too! And I'm going to be honest, I did experiment with a few recreational drugs before I had kids and I drank a lot too. Since having kids I can't do it. Even when they are with my mom over night, I can't risk something happening to me for one night of fun. I do have an occassional glass of wine, when the kids are in bed, but otherwise, I just don't do any of it anymore.
    I always think too, even if you go out and get drunk and have a sitter, someone has to watch your kids in the morning. It's not fair for them to have to deal with a hungover parent.
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 6:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You are not the only one. If you are hooked on Pot or anything else...in a way that you are constantly looking forqaed to your next Fix, next smoke,next dose, then you are too selfish to be a parent. Get off all drugs or if alcohol is a problem, go to AA BEFORE getting pregnant. And stay away from any drugs after having children.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 7:56 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Caring for children while impaired is incredibly irresponsible and I cannot defend anyone who does it.

However, if there was a mom who put her kiddos down for bed at night, hired a babysitter to stay with them, and went out to a bar to drink with her husband/boyfriend/friends, would you consider her a bad mother? If not, what's the difference between her using alcohol and her using any other drug under the same set of circumstances? There's a huge difference between smoking pot at a concert while kids are elsewhere and toking up in front of your 8 year olds before taking them to play at the park.

As for harder drugs, forget it.
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 8:50 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I definitely agree, and I choose not to use alcohol, either. If my kid chooses to drink when he comes of age, that's his choice, but I don't want him to ever believe that his parents approve of it.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• drugs forget it, there is no excuse to using illegal drugs while parenting or really ever for that matter. now alcohol can be done responsibly even while a parent. now obviously getting trashed and trying to take care of your kids is not the smartest thing to do (not to mention extremely painful when you have a hangover and a screaming 2yr old) but if you are out to dinner and you have one drink there is nothing wrong with that. my husband will have a drink on occasion, but he also does it responsibly, he wont drive even if it is just one beer, and we also explain to our kids that it is a drink they cannot have till they are older and there are rules that go along with it.
    tiffanyv123

Answer by tiffanyv123 at 6:50 AM on Nov. 17, 2010