Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

Our neighbors overflowed their toilet and water was running threw the air vents at a fast flow.

There was water damage in the front of the bathroom door with the carpet and padding and ceiling in the bedroom. next to the medicine cabnet the wall and in the closet in the corner. The maintence was supposed to fix the carpet and in the bathroom wall but has failed to do so. The room and bathroom smell so bad of mildew!!! Is there a phone number to call if it is'nt done after a certain amount of time? We live in a apt. We have rights to live mildew free right?

Answer Question

Asked by 4theloveofTink at 7:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

Level 18 (6,063 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Notify you landlord in writing that if the damage isn't repaired in 30 days you will have it repaired yourself and deduct the bill from your rent.. You have that right in most states. I would also make sure they know about the mildew. That is a very unhealthy enviroment to live in.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • Do you have a manager or office on site?

    Answer by louise2 at 7:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • FYI, since the water came from an overflowing toilet, any affected carpet and pad needs to be removed and replaced, not cleaned. I absolutely would keep pestering whoever you need to to get this taken care of. It's disgusting. Not only is there mildew from the moisture, but the bacteria from the toilet is now on everything it came in contact with. Stay on the management company's case until they do the right thing.

    Answer by vicesix at 7:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • An attorney may point you in the right direction. Usually first consultation is free.

    Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 10:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • They replaced the padding and carpet right in front of the bathroom door but not in the closet. Or have they fixed the bathroom wall next to medicine cabinet or the wall in the corner of the closet. They are coming today to do an inspection for the all the apartments today and having water and power shut off. It's a yearly thing. They were supposed to come yesterday but because of the inspection.......why come twice? is my guess!!!! whole thing is stupid!!!!!!!!!!

    Comment by 4theloveofTink (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

  • Call the health department right away and give them the landlords info. Then, get a lawyer and set up an escrow account for your rent. He would not get one thin dime from me until all was fixed. An escrow account is leagal, and it send a message loud and clear.

    Answer by salexander at 11:13 AM on Nov. 19, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.