What do you think about getting married at the courthouse before the end of the year and having the actual wedding next summer?

I am getting married next June. I went on the tax calculator and it says we'll get back twice as much filing jointly than separate. This money could pay for our wedding! So we are thinking about doing this and not considering ourselves married until the wedding day. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• Hmmm, I always thought I'd get back LESS if I got married by the end of the year.... I might have to look into this myself!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Nothing wrong with that. Plenty of couples have different circumstances that delay the reception. In general you do better filing jointly.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I'd get married now and have the celebration next summer but would certainly consider myself married once I was married.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Thats what I plan on doing
    Nataleesmom09

Answer by Nataleesmom09 at 7:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• then why get married if your not going to call it a marriage
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My husband and I got married through the courts so that we could spend the money on a house first before the wedding. We got married February of 2005, but didn't have our wedding until November 2006. It worked out just fine, and I see no problem with you doing it. However, I would definitely consider yourself married. My husband and I did and we even celebrate both our marriage anniversary AND our wedding anniversary (we just make a bigger deal of it on our wedding date).
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 9:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I did something like that, My husband and I recently got married with just 30 people attending (strictly parents and siblings) and we plan to have a big wedding next fall. I think whatever makes you happy you should do, a lot of people these days get married through the court house and have a big wedding and dont tell anyone. Your wedding, your life together your decisions. I say go for it <3
    RhiannaSanchez

Answer by RhiannaSanchez at 9:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Well I did the same sort of thing, got married in december, and had a reception the next August, for me though it was because while planning our wedding I got pregnant and found out I was due on the day we had planed to get married. So for insurance purposes (so I could get on my hubbys insurance) we got married at the courthouse in december and we still had our reception that we had been planning the next summer.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 10:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I wanted to add that I have to agree with others that you should still consider yourself married, we had family at the courthouse with us, and then went out to a really nice dinner afterwords to celbrate. Thats the day that I consider my anniversary, we were after all officially married that day!
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 10:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• The only reason I don't want to consider us married right away is because I want the wedding to be meaningful.  I want to look forward to that day. For me the courthouse thing is more like a technicality.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2010