What do you think about getting married at the courthouse before the end of the year and having the actual wedding next summer? PIOG

I am getting married next June. I went on the tax calculator and it says we'll get back twice as much filing jointly than separate. This money could pay for our wedding! So we are thinking about doing this and not considering ourselves married until the wedding day. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I see no problem with it.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Great idea :)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:14 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• IF YOUR GOING TO HAVE A REAL WEDDING IN THE SUMMERTIME THEN JUST WAIT UNTIL THEN TO GET MARRIED
    hotmama625

Answer by hotmama625 at 7:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I am making it official on the 22nd of this month and having a ceremony next November.
    Nothing wrong with that! LOL alot of people do it.
    Chaotic_Rayne

Answer by Chaotic_Rayne at 7:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• That's what I did!! My anniversary is this weekend lol. We never ended up having the wedding though. We decided we didn't really want to have one after all, but if you do I would make it a priority to make sure it happens.
    Namaste17

Answer by Namaste17 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• We will make sure it happens. I already have my dress and the venue reserved. lol Thanks
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It seems like you care more about getting married than about being married. Go to the courthouse, get married, and be done with it.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You lose some of your deductions when married filing separately vs. filing jointly. There aren't many circumstances where filling separately will lower your taxes, so you might want to check with a tax professional about that. Once you are legally married, you are married for tax purposes; it doesn't matter whether you consider yourselves married or not.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 8:58 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I do not care more about getting married than being married. And I think it is a rude and arrogant thing to say.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:49 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• You might want to have that figure double checked by an account. It doesn't sound right. My husband and I got married in the summer and when we did our taxes the next year, we did not get a significant amount of money back.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 17, 2010