Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i contact the commanding officer if my marine tennant hasnt paid rent if he gets a housing allowance

Answer Question

Asked by jerred at 7:16 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 1 (2 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • To me, thats like calling his parents and telling on him. Give him a notice to quit and proceed with what your legally able to do.

    Answer by mistynights234 at 7:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • Have you contacted the tenent first? Is he/she more than 2 weeks late? Send a written notice giving a 48 hour deadline since it is already past due. Send it certified. If no response contact his Command Sgt Major and let them know he is in arrears and by how much. Let them know if it isn't paid he will be evicted.

    Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • I guess you have talked to him about the rent. If so,go to the commander.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • You might have better luck if you contact his NCO first, if you know who that is. But yes, contacting his chain of command will get him to pay, they will even take it out of his pay if he won't pay it when they say he has to. The military, especially the Marine Corps, is big on financial responsibility.

    Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • If you have already served the Marine with written notice of his non-payment and he still has not paid or contacted you to make arrangements, then yes, you can contact his CO.

    Part of military life is accepting that anything (including failure to pay debts) will come back to your commander, who WILL be taking it up with his Marine.

    Answer by geminilove at 7:31 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • Most definitely! I used to work in a store in a military town (many years ago), when the army and air force guys (or wives) wrote bad checks to the store, we would call their CO's and you can bet by the end of the week they paid us back in cash. Most of the time the CO's escorted them to the store to pay it.

    Answer by slw123 at 9:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

  • I'm not sure how it works when the military is involved. But with a regular tenant you would try to get the money from them first and if that doesn't work, evict them and/or take them to small claims court.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

  • A good way to get fast results is to talk with the base Chaplin.

    Answer by wellnessgirl at 4:37 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.