Croup

o Ho i love this time of year, the leaves are falling, the cool weather is coming, the nights are longer yet your sleep hours are lessening. And why? Bc of croup! My lil girl got it when she was barely 6 months old, and now has it again. Ive tried everything to help her rest this year and I am really just going no where with it. I have taken her to the doc and basically all he suggested was giving her meds and let her sleep on will..the problem you see is when she "sleeps" at night all she does is want to be held, and roll over mommy and cry all night and kick daddys back while we "attempt" to sleep with her in the bed. Ladies do yall have any suggestions for comforting a child while they have croup?
Ive tried sleeping sitting up,taking a steamy shower,giving her water,trying a breathin treatment and nothing worked she still would just scream and kick all night..I need help please

bamamommy2009

Asked by bamamommy2009 at 7:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my sons were put on medication
    Sky_Mom

Answer by Sky_Mom at 7:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• lots and loads of fluids. sugar free or lemonade (regular) keep using the formula, or bf.
    at night she'll just do that. she is doing what is natural
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 8:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Cold is the best treatment to calm croup... wrap her in a blanket and sit outside in the cold air. She likely has a very sore throat too... I would give her motrin before bed to help her rest better. Breathing treatments, like albuterol will NOT help... Epi nebs are what helps croup and you can't use those at home.
    My son has had croup 5 times in his 2 year life... I totally understand what you are going though!
    Decadron shots are what works the best and fastest to get them better.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• As a former Respiratory Therapist, I gotta say, AmiJanell's answer is correct. If you take her outside, it will calm her. Trust me when I say this, it sounds a lot worse than it is. Unless she develops stridor, which is a high pitched sound and looks to be having respiratory  distress, she is going to be alright. The problem is of course, she is keeping herself awake from the cough.  I am going to hook you up with a website, so you can hear breath sounds such as Stridor.  That way you can recognize it.   Breath Sounds

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010