I need to keep my daughter hydrated. I need help! :(

My daughter had her tonsils and adenoids out on Monday. It's basically been a battle getting her to drink ANYTHING, even her meds. They let us go home to see if that helps at all. We've had to hold her down, it's been a nightmare.

Does anybody have any ideas. I don't wanna have to go back. :(
I feel like i'm going to fail, and I hate it.

I can only think she won't drink anything (even Popsicles, ice cream, juice etc) because she threw it up on Monday.

Chell.o_0

Asked by Chell.o_0 at 7:51 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Give her the pain med, wait about 1 hour..then try to push fluids. She is so lttle she doesn't understand. We had a hard time with my granddaughter to for the first 3 days. Have you tried vbanilla pediasure?
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:54 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Will she try liquids a spoon at a time? Bless her heart! Yours too. Praying for you both. Hope she feels better soon, Mama.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 7:55 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Have you tried soup broth?
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 7:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• If she'll eat, soup is a great option, just do low sodium if you can so she isn't getting more dehydrated from the salt. Jello is also good for dehydration.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Didn't they give you a script for a liquid pain med? Once the pain med hits the child's throat, it usually makes it more comfortable for them to eat or drink. My son was given liquid Tylenol 3, which is Tylenol w/codeine syrup added. Helped tremendously.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 7:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My daughter had he adenoids out. I had no problems geting her to drink cold. We bought her pop cycle to to suck on.

Answer by louise2 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Ask about a pain med " cocktail" that is liquid with lidocaine in it. This was something we used with our son.Use the med first, wait 15 min then try liquid foods. There are also a "lolipop" for kids for sore throats that might help. Give a spoonful of liquid each time you pass by. Just one. Make a game of it.
    mach5

Answer by mach5 at 8:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• my daughter was in the hospital for 4 days the nurses there cut her mouth open at 5 months. so now to give meds its like with ur daughter. what we do is i have hubby hold her arms and legs and i put her head in between my knees. im above her head. and we just pry open her mouth and get a little meds at a time down. have her only in pants and no shirt because its a mess. we also wipe her down in between doseing. she is now 2 and she still hates meds. they have tyelnol as a suppossortoy? that u can get at the store and we use those when she has a fever. gl
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 8:49 PM on Nov. 16, 2010