if you have contraction 5 min apart, usually how many cm dilated are you when you arrived to the hospital?

I was just wondering, i'm 2cm dilated now and have mild contraction. If it gets stronger or if i'm going into labor does that mean I'll be more than 2cm dilated? Thanks in advance

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• probably...

Answer by older at 7:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I was 2cm for a week... then having contractions for 3 days.... by the time I went to the hospital I was 6 cm
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Every woman is different, I contracted for 13 hours to get from 1cm to 4cm, but it only took 2 hours to get from 4cm to 10cm. Normally your dilation will progress with productive, regular, real contractions for every woman. The rate just varies form woman to woman and pregnancy to pregnancy.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Maybe maybe not. I went to the hospital with mine about 7 minutes apart and was 5 cm when I got there 20 minutes later I was resisting the urge to push and was fully dilated. That was with my second. My first I was about 5 cm and about 5 min apart and 2 hours later was fully dilated and pushing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Not necessarily.. You can contract for weeks and not progress.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 8:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• They say that on average, you dilate 1 cm per hour during active labor. ON AVERAGE being key words there..
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 8:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Some woman stay below 5 centimeters dilated until they hit the final stages of labor, then they dilate like crazy. Some dilate as labor progresses, and, worst case scenario, some do not dilate at all. It depends on you, and your body.
    mistical_me

Answer by mistical_me at 9:15 PM on Nov. 16, 2010