I am watching a 3 yr old what are some?

what are some things you teach a 3 yr old?
The child doesn't know his shapes, barely his colors forget about the ABC's or counting... His mother has done nothing with him, I have been every day for 2 weeks trying to teach him his shapes and he just wont pick it up.. I am at a loss and I would really like to help him! What are some things I could try? thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:57 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would focus on colors and counting first. Don't overload him. It should all be fun and done casually. There is plenty of time for him to learn these concepts.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:03 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• talk to him. Show him an item that is round and another item that is round and talk about the fact that they are round. Trace the round shape with his finger. Draw around the shape on a paper with a crayon. Keep talking to him about the shape. Put two things together and ask him for the round one. When he birngs you the correct one. Do the winner dance. Give him a high five. A hug. Lots of rewards. Just keep building.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Preschools usually break it down to one color a week or one shape a week. It has to be fun.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:07 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Focus on one concept, then find stories, games, and art projects that reinforce the concept. He'll get it. While most kids his age may know at least some of these, it isn't detremental that he doesn't know them yet. He has some time.
    DivaDynamite

Answer by DivaDynamite at 8:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think going with colors first is a good idea. Be patient so children just take longer.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Teach him colors, shapes, numbers, letters etc.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 2:11 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• play games, take it slow... and surround the child with the shape/color you are working on... if you are doing circles... cut the sanwich into circles, cut cheese or jello for a snack into circles... etc. they will learn the shape if they are surrounded by it... and honestly the kiddo may know his shapes and just be unwilling to tell you. my 3 year old could only cound to 5 according to her teacher at school, until she heard my daughter count the stairs doing down... all the way to 13... when asked to RECITE her numbers, shapes, colors she doesn't do well, but when she is "playing" she knows it all!
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:03 PM on Nov. 17, 2010

• read to him, work on 1 or 2 shapes at a time, sing with him
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 3:36 PM on Nov. 18, 2010