What kinds of foods can I feed my 2 year old to help him gain weight?

My son is almost 2 and hasn't gained a pound for the last 10 months!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Jul. 5, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Trader Joes - Strawberries and cream yoghurt cups. They also come in Blueberry and cream. They have 140 calories in 4 oz. My daughter weighed 15 lbs at 1 yr and I tried everything to get her to eat and gain weight. This year at her 3yr old check up she in finally on the growth charts again. She eats about 3 or 4 tubs a day. They come in 6 packs and in So Cal it is cheaper than the organic baby yoghurt at the market.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 2:18 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• give him nuts like cashews raw unsalted unflavored sunflower seeds pinto beans lentals garbonso beans with cream cheese tofu blintezes from trader joes i think there soo good and iam not one for tofu or soy potatoes soybeans brown rice brocolii grapes and you can make him organic drinks in the blender carrot juices very good calcium for them with apples
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 2:32 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• First of all, has the doctor shown any concern? Sometimes kids just go through this, and if your doctor doesn't see it as an issue then there is no reason to help him gain weight. But assuming that you have already done that, my suggestion is just to add healthy fats into the diet. Avacado, cook in olive oil, nuts and seeds, etc etc
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 8:07 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Unless your doctor directs you to do this, leave im alone. Being on the small side with regards to weight does not mean the child won't gain later in life. Talk to your child's doctor. Keep the extras healthy so that bad habits aren't learned.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 8:40 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• My daughter always seemed to be "skin and bones" the doctor didn't show any concern because I'm thin but I knew she wasn't getting enough nutrients. I also knew that I'd never been that thin as a child - she just didn't like to sit and eat. On my own I started giving her Ensure. She's still very thin, but I least I know I got some calcium and other nutrients in her when she needed it. At 7 she's still small but she doesn't seem frail anymore.
    Gotoyourmoms

Answer by Gotoyourmoms at 11:11 AM on Jul. 5, 2008

• More meats, grains, pasta, whole milk, nothing low-fat, cereal, granola... don't forget to make sure he still eats plenty of fruits & veggies too.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• teachermom nailed it. my son has always been behind on the scale of "normal" weight. i even thought about ensure because not only was he not gaining weight but i felt he would be malnutritioned because he seemed to hardly be hungry. my doctor reassured me that it is okay as long as you offer and that it is healthy.
    brimarie8

Answer by brimarie8 at 12:11 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• Talk to your pediatrician. This is kinda messing with Pandoras box. There are alot of children anymore that are getting overweight.Looking underweight isn't really as bad as you think it is. My son stayed really thin until he hit 4 yrs. old.Now I'm kinda worried about his weight. There are statistic charts of weight and height for children. Look them up.
    perfectkitten

Answer by perfectkitten at 12:15 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• well it all depends, if your 2 year old does not like to eat, then the best thing for him/her would be ensure(the drink). Actually ensure plus would be better. my daughter is @ a good weight but and i normally mix nesquik and milk together, she loves it. try the ensure @ least once a day, that should work. And giving him/her rice is fatining also.
    little106

Answer by little106 at 12:31 PM on Jul. 5, 2008

• If you find a trick that works, please let me know. I am counting the time until I can fall back on "because I'm the mommy, that's why!" and "eat it or wear it!" and other old fashioned echos of the past.... lol
    clnease

Answer by clnease at 3:42 PM on Jul. 5, 2008