how do you handle an hyper active 2 year old girl?

My daughter Dakota is so hyper. i dont know if it has anything to do with sugar or not. i have limited the amount of sugar that she gets, have a bed time routine and all that. she sleeps well at night shes just extreamly hyper during the day and its starting to wear me out. any ideas on how to get her to calm down?

mamasbabi3176

Asked by mamasbabi3176 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Studies have proven that sugar in any amount does not make kids hyper. I have 3 very hyperactive kids. 2 of them are girls. You just let them go outside and play. If it is cold or raining, find activities where they move around a lot. I found that my girls loved the dvd's where they are dancing with the disney princess. They move around a lot, and lose some energy.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:42 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I agree - it's not the sugar. Some studies have shown that artifical colors and flavors MAY play a role.
    My daughter wears me out too. I really wish I could find a way to suck out some of her energy and give it to me. I've got her in a few Mommy & Me classes through my city's parks department. That helps some. We take walks around the block. I have a great DVD called "The Monkey Doos" that's sort of a kiddie exercise tape - she loves twirling like a helicopter when that part comes on.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:11 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• My son was like this. It was like he only had two settings: full speed ahead or dead stop. At three, I had him evaluated (by three different psychiatrists) and they all said he had ADHD. I didn't believe them. It wasn't until he was five that I decided to check it out and it was the best thing we ever did. Maybe it's not ADHD, but the best thing each MD told me was "it's not your fault." It's worth a try.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• Does she take a nap during the course of the day ? Is there some kind of external chaos happening around her at those times ? 2 year olds still in my opinion, need naps.
    h2obare

Answer by h2obare at 6:34 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• My daughter is 22 months and very hyper, demanding, opinionated, and extremely stubborn. I'm 16 weeks preggo and I am having a rough time keeping up with her. For me there is no such thing as "me time" and going anywhere without her is almost never an option. I wish I knew how to deal with this, for both of our sakes, but if you figure something out that works, Message me. Oh, and good luck and try not to lose your temper. I understand. Totally.
    Amanda3525

Answer by Amanda3525 at 9:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2008