Can someone who has a criminal record join the military?

My boyfriend wants to join the marines, but is in the process of being charged with a crime. Is there anyway he can still join? Hes so happy hes figured out what he wants to do but is scared he will be rejected because of a stupid mistake he made 4 years ago.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 8:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I depends on the charge, whether or not he is convicted, and how long ago it happened. If it is drug related, that is a big, fat, NO. But my Ex Husband had a criminal record when he joined the Navy.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think he can, if this is his first offense, I would have it expunged, meaning there will be no record of this offense, but when applying to the military you must divulge it even if it is expunged. Failure to disclosure this information or providing false information is considered a federal offense. Everyone gets one expungement in a life time.

Answer by older at 8:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• My Husband is actually in the Army national guard so I know that the National guard will as long as it isn't a felony charge, If is a misdemeanor then he could get a wavier. Im not sure about the Marines. But my Husband did say that the National Gaurd is really the only branch of the military that takes criminal backgrounds. Hopefully this helps Good luck
    toriturtle

Answer by toriturtle at 8:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It totally depends. Tell him to talk to a Marine recruiter with the details. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the crime.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 8:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010