What would you do if your child received a gift you didn't want them to have

for a bday or Christmas from a relative? (like, a video game system?)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• Regift
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would give it to charity or to someone else and tell my child that I will buy them something different to replace it.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 8:22 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would return it and get something else.

Answer by older at 8:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• return it and give my kid the gift card and tell them what would be ok to spend the money on
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 8:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I think that you should consider telling them what gifts would be appropriate for your child. If they still get something that you do not want your child to have I would consider returning it to get something that would be better. I would also explain to them why you are not keeping the gift.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 8:30 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• id return it and get something else for the kid, gl
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 8:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Why can't he/she have the game system?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• 1. I make it clear what we WONT accept -- from the day my dd was born a few people in our family have wanted to get a tv for DD bedroom.. We have clearly told them she will NOT have a tv in her room. if she gets a tv it will be found in another room!

2. If its something i can limit, then i would do that.. I dont like video game eithers but dd got a leapster explorer for her 4th bday (i approved, but they knew it would be limited/restricted use). it is treated the same as the tv... she only get about 2hrs of tv/video games a day (if that)..

3. If the family clearly knew i didnt want the gift & they give it to DD.. then they better not say a word when i return it for the $ to buy dd something else.. She is my daughter & I CAN have a say in gifts she does not get.. I would let them know (no drama) after the gift was opened it would be returned to the store with a short explanation of why.. they can choose to "try again" also
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I would let the gift giver know that it isn't something I want my child to have. Explain why and then leave it at that. Make sure they understand you appriciate their willingness to give a gift, and just make sure they know it's not personal. That it's just an item that I didn't want my child to have.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:25 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I don't see that happening. My family and network of friends are sensitive to that sort of thing. We ask before we give. I don't know what I would do if it happened...make the best of it I guess. Video systems have educational, and non-violent games that you can purchase.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:29 AM on Nov. 17, 2010