Does anyone else ever feel like people are only friends with you as a courtesy?

I've been dealing with depression for a long time, so I know this feeling is related. I often feel like people are only nice to me because they have to be, because I'm associated with someone else they care about (like my in laws or some of my mom friends). I hate this feeling. I can be very self assured sometimes, but other times, I feel like I am socially inept, and like people put up with me as a courtesy. Am I the only one who feels like this sometimes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• I understand how you feel. I think that some of the parents of my children's friends are only friends with me because of the kids. Since I've been involved with parenting for the past 12 years, I don't seem to have friends except for those and some at work.

BTW, I wonder if someone who thinks they've never felt inept ever in their life isn't just a bit in denial? I think it's only human to feel that way at least once in a while.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 11:11 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• I think everyone feels like that at some point.
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 8:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• no i go through this ever day so your not alone
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 8:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• i feel like that alot of the time...and usualy when i feel like that im right about it...keep your head up hun...there are alot of prople out there just like you
    SMALLfry05

Answer by SMALLfry05 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I feel that way to with someone I am getting to be good friends with,her SO works at the same company my SO works at and they are good friends,so I am often wondering if she is just being friends with me because of that.
    Ananomys

Answer by Ananomys at 9:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I feel that way a lot. Now i have very few friends, i basically stick to hanging out with family
    RhiannaSanchez

Answer by RhiannaSanchez at 9:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Bumphugs

bratgirln1

Answer by bratgirln1 at 11:09 AM on Nov. 17, 2010

• Never felt inept in ANYTHING? Wow, I didn't know that was possible.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I am sorry you feel this way but this has never happened to me, I have never felt inept in anything in my life.

Answer by older at 8:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2010