breastfeeding

my newborn girl is two weeks old and is not latching on is this ok she is also on formula i would perfer for her to breastfeed but she is a great eater and i don't have anough milk to plaese her what should i do can she ween herself at two or 3 weeks weather i want her to or not plaese help i'm new at this and really don't know what to do

blush10-19-08

Asked by blush10-19-08 at 7:54 PM on Nov. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• pump and give it to her in the bottlealso they do have shields that you can put over your nipple so that it is easier for them to latch on. I used one for my son. it was the only way i could breastfeed him. ask your dr. try to do it for as long as you can. the more you get her to actually do it, the more milk you will have. paste this into your browser. it will take you to the target web site with the nipple shield. http://www.target.com/Medela-Nipple-Shield/dp/B000067PQ0/sr=1-1/qid=1225760379/ref=sr_1_1/185-7326856-4137929?ie=UTF8&rh=k%3Abreastfeeding%5Fshield&page=1
    bubblebean

Answer by bubblebean at 8:01 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• they are $5.99
    bubblebean

• I do both formula and breast feeding with my 2 1/2 month olds. They are twins and I do not have enough milk for them even pumping every few hours. I pump and give them a bottle of half breast milk and half formula. While it is true that breast milk is the best way to go, there is nothing that says it can't be in a bottle vs straight off the boob. If you decide to go the pumping route, I recommend a medela pump in style (expensive but soooo worth it) and a hands free pumping bra (mine is by easy expressions) so that you can do other things while pumping. If you decide to use formula make sure it is iron enriched. Good luck!
    sienaneismom

Answer by sienaneismom at 8:22 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• I know how you feel- mine wasn't latching on correctly for the first couple weeks, either- hurt like a banshee! Plus, I felt like I didn't have enough milk. But you will make enough milk for your baby- she will get enough to eat! And if she isn't, you can supplement with formula.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If you really want to breastfeed, call up the L&D department where you deliverd and ask for the number of a breastfeeding consultant. Or look in your phone book. Even your local WIC office may be able to help you, even if you don't qualify for WIC. One steady person helping you may make the difference.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2008

• If you want her to latch, you need to ditch the bottles. Sounds like typical nipple confusion and/or preference. Some kids can nurse and use bottles at the same time, but many develop a preference or confusion. Sounds like that's exactly what your baby is doing. Also contact an IBCLC or a La Leche League Leader in your area. LLL services are voluntary, and the women know their stuff.
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:59 AM on Nov. 4, 2008

• I also agree about contacting the hospital where you delivered and speak to the Lactation Consultant. Your body will only make as much milk as your baby is drinking. So if you're giving bottles of formula, your body is not being stimulated to make more milk. I understand the pain of a poor latch...the LC will help with positioning and should be able to check for tongue tie. Good luck and many hugs to you!!!
    Fourbymom

Answer by Fourbymom at 3:03 PM on Nov. 4, 2008