So how exactly does that work, anyway?

If you believe homosexuality is a sin, and you oppose gay marriage, but you insist you don't teach your kids to bully or be homophobic. Your child goes to school and is told to be nice to everyone. Your child comes home and you agree, saying be nice to everyone. Then you turn around and say homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to get married, are sinning, need to change their ways, and just generally, shouldn't be treated the same as everyone. If a gay couple pops up on tv, you immediately change the channel and tell them it's dirty. When it's mentioned in a song, you change the radio station. If they make Ken kiss GI Joe instead of Barbie, you tell them no. Which message do you spend more time telling to your child vs which message do you spend more time SHOWING to your child, and which one do you think they really learn?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 8:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Hypocrisy and Arrogance are wonderful things to those who don't accept that they exist...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• They learn by example mostly, and that message some parents put out there sticks for life...

Answer by older at 9:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• good question
    benitaapplebomb

Answer by benitaapplebomb at 9:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Good question!
    However my boys decided on their own and they are 16 and 13 now and chose on their own not to agree with the lifestyle but they know people that are in this lifestyle and do not bully them ect. My oldest who does not walk in this lifestyle was teased and called gay ect. He has a lot of compassion for people who really are.
    I told them I didnt agree with these things and never forced them to believe my way. I explained why and let them choose. I have passed by channels when I see this stuff and they understand my feelings. Kids are smart ! :-) They will come to the conclusion themselves as they get older.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 9:04 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• It teaches "love everyone but". It offers examples of exceptions to the rules of love and compassion. And once any exception is made there's no going back, since people will keep adding their own exceptions and it never stops.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I just don't understand the hypocrisy of religions...I love that they can twist around the words of their religious text, to get what they want out of it.
    Girlsabadfish

Answer by Girlsabadfish at 9:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• "well im not racist, but i tell my children not to date black people, refused to let my daughters have black dolls, use the N-word on a regular basis, refuse to watch anything with a black main character, say "oh those movies arent for us" when someone mentions Tyler Perry's latest film, and make tons of racial jokes...im not racist tho, some of my best friends are black."

hmm...strangely sounds similar to how my grandmother talks...and strangely how her children talk (and luckily NOT how her grandchildren talk).

children learn more from actions than from words.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:12 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• children learn more from actions than from words.-

true dat!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• I so agree!
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 9:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Teaching your child to be kind and not to bully is totally different from accepting homosexuality as okay and not sinful. You can still teach your child to be kind to everyone regardless and still teach them that the Bible and the Church teach that marriage is supposed to be between and man and a woman. You can teach them to pray to God for guidance for those who are homosexual.

People who change the channel or turn off the radio or whatever are clearly uncomfortable with the situation and not ready to approach it with their child. I bet those same people change the channel when a condom, viagra or tampon commercial comes on too.

For the record, I don't think I have any right to tell anyone who they can and can't love. I believe that if they wern't supposed to love them, then God would not have brought them together.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2010