What language do i have to speak to get through to my teenager ?

He has refined the art of selective hearing , walks off on the serious issues , and is now on planet , i like girls .

Mommymentor704

Asked by Mommymentor704 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 16, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• lol
    sometime talk in gibberish and see if he notices

timmy, you did not clean your room again and if i go to the store to buy marshmellows and they only have pink elephants dancing on ice skates, does that mean you have to get good grades? you know that your father and I are reading about the old days when cars were run on dirt and the sky is not always blue because the Winter is coming and you need to shovel the snow. Your sister is very good at school and at her last report card, the ice is melting and i think i left the stove on because ants are very little and the electricity bill is die because you never listen do you, timmy etc etc etc

see if he notices?
    i am betting that he may not notice
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• You won't be able to speak the same language for at least a few years. Good Luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:17 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Sounds totally normal, however, no way in Hell would I allow my child at any age to walk off when I am speaking with them. Disrespect is not "cool" and will not be tolerated. Next time, I suggest, you call him back into the room, and tell him "If you are too busy to talk to me, then you are too busy to talk to anyone" and restrict his phone privledges (House and cell) until he is mature enough to sit down and talk with you.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:19 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• lol to flatpax thats a good one
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 9:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Is the problem that maybe your teenager feels unsupported by you with whatever you are talking about? I know a lot when I was tlaking to my parents as a teen, i never feel like they were supportive so id turn a deaf ear and forge my own path.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 9:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2010

• Oh, ETA...although *you* may not feel that you sound unsportive, your child may...that is something my parents *still* dont understand and it is very hurtful and has ruined our relationship.
    anikahaynes1